cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I enforce promises made by a field agent?

mgram
I've been around

Hi there,

First my story:

At the beginning of March I let myself convince by a Rogers field agent at my door to change Home internet providers. I was promised a reduced monthly fees, a free second month and waived installation fees. He also mentioned that I should ignore the first invoice since he would first need to fill out a "fit form" to get these adjustments. This is the first (and possibly last time) that I signed a contract at the door, but it all seemed legit i.e. Rogers ID and uniform (also he wasn't the first and had a similar offer than the one before) and he left his name and phone number with me. The technical installation followed promptly after the weekend and the equipment works great. So far so well.

About 14 days later I received the email invoice over a 150$ activation + monthly fee. While he said I should ignore it, I contacted Rogers via chat and asked about the missing promotion. They told me that the promotions had not yet been applied and advised me to contact the field agent again and to wait for the first invoice after 30days, only then they could do something. 

So I did and the text response of the field agent was "Hello sir you don't have to pay anything don't worry about that"

Now, one month after that first email invoice, I received a second email invoice charging me a month fee + the amount of the first invoice + late fees.

So I again texted the field agent - no response.

I called customer service for 1 hour in which I spoke to 3 different agents. The last one attempted to apply the promotions but after a longer period of trial and wait, said he could not due to internal policies. He said the field agent had documented the promotions but still needs to do something to apply them, so it is on him. He advised me to contact him again with the note that I had called customer care and his action is required. On my question what leverage I had, he said the agent documented the promotions...

So I texted again - no response.

I called him - voicemail.

Now my questions:

Was I too naive? Besides not accepting anything at the door anymore (which I will likely be doing in the future) is there anything I could have done differently? How can one check if an offer is legit, ideally before signing a contract but the latest within a cancellation period?

Are there any measures I can do to still get the promised promotions? I was considering to cancel the contract again (out of principle if Rogers enables such agents to do and promise whatever they want) but I would still need to pay the ridiculous installation fees. 

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How can I enforce promises made by a field agent?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You seem to have learned the first lesson. Don't ever become involved in any way with a door to door person (or any telemarketer). They do not have your interest at heart, only their own. Some are scammers, others are simply Charlatans.  I never talk to door to door people or telemarketers - I have a no soliciting sign at my door and point to it if someone ignores it.  I have a distinctive ring on my home phone which identifies any incoming calls that are not on my phone's directory. I do not answer them.  Legitimate calls will leave a message, while most telemarketers will not.

If you want to ignore that advice, you can call Rogers (or whatever company is being promoted) and ask them if the offer from this "third party" is legit and always do that before signing anything or agreeing to anything. Never give out personal information before researching and never give out your SIN.

As for "enforcing" what someone else said, that can be very difficult.

See the following scamming links:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

Re: How can I enforce promises made by a field agent?

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
I agree with @57 about the dangers of dealing with 3rd-party companies, but the good news is that you're happy with the Rogers Internet service that was installed.

I don't know what a "fit form" is, or why the field agent is no longer responding to you, but if you gave him your credit card number, it would be wise to get a new card after a Rogers Office of the President agent gives you the same deal in the notes (of your account), or an even better one.

To get the installation fee waived, Rogers often requires that you keep your service for at least 3 months, before the credit appears on your bill.
The Rogers billing system also allows the agent you are dealing with, to block other agents from adding offers, so that the agent gets credit for the sale (some blocks expire after a few days). Perhaps that's why no low-level Rogers agent can add the offer to your account.

The Office of the President agents should be able to give you large-enough credits to cover the late fees, etc., Incurred due to field-agent errors.

Fill out the Share a Concern form and request contact with Office of the President agent (as mentioned in Messages section at bottom of your biil).
https://www.rogers.com/contact/share-a-concern/
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation