cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum stuck on "conversation" view despite changing to linear view

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

It seems that registered users lack the option to view each post individually when there are associated replies. To elaborate, when someone responds to a comment, their post is slightly indented and positioned beneath the original post, adhering to a "tree-like" conversational format.

It's worth noting that the forum settings offer both linear and threaded options, but these only appear to affect the organization of forum topics, not the responses within them.

Drawing on my experience with and management of internet forums since the Bulletin Board System (BBS) days, I can confidently assert that this particular forum's design is lacking, particularly due to its challenging white background and very light, grey thin fonts. These design choices, as demonstrated in scientific research and literary works, come with numerous shortcomings, primarily making reading a more difficult task.

Personally, I prefer a format where all replies are presented individually, in a non-threaded manner. Implementing an auto-quoting feature as the standard would ensure that users can easily identify both the recipient and content of a given reply. It would help avoid duplicated questions or responses.

I understand that these concerns will  not carry any weight with Rogers/Fido. It appears that they have either developed or endorsed an unappealing, user-unfriendly forum, seemingly without giving due consideration to the needs of the end-users.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Forum stuck on "conversation" view despite changing to linear view

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We had extensive discussions on this topic in the following thread, where you also posted:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Questions-Suggestions/New-interface-for-the-Communit...

None of us are happy with the forum format.  Rogers gets it from" Khoros" and there are probably limits to what customization can be done economically.

At least Rogers addressed some of the many concerns we had in 2021, 2022, but obviously some still exist. 

Some people have expressed concerns regarding "readability", but to be honest, it's not a problem that I encounter on my Mac Mini, or my MacBook Air, or my iPad and I'm in my 70s.

Re: Forum stuck on "conversation" view despite changing to linear view

Rubycat
I'm an enthusiast

It is just a system that they hope makes you feel good about getting badges and is useless and difficult to use and the mods will delete any post they dislike.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation