cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entrance/Exit gate control with Ignite phone

JimmieW
I've been here awhile

I recently changed to Rogers Ignite Phone when Bell discontinued its copper wire service and I also added new Panasonic cordless phones.  I also have entrance and exit driveway gates which have been controlled through the house phone system.  I have connected all the phone jacks in the house to the Rogers system and they are working fine.  Including the line to the gate controller.  I have also disconnected the old Bell line at the demarcation box.

I can open and close the driveway gates after the change from Bell to Rogers, but the gates have two issues.

The gates use *7 x to open and close them.  When I enter the code the gates open and close but then this happens-

The system reports back "a feature access code not supported" or anonymous phone calls will no longer be sent to your phone" and the line does not hang up properly, it takes a second hang up to hang up.

This was not happening with Bell.  I have a general idea as to what the problem is, but not a fix.  I really would like to control the gates through the phone system rather than via wifi or other.

Any thoughts before I call the gate guy?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Entrance/Exit gate control with Ignite phone

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Ya call the gate guy cuase this is not a rogers phone issue.  Something unique I have never heard of.

Good Luck

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JimmieW  When you disconnected the incoming Bell line, did you connect the Telephone port on the Ignite Gateway at the same point where the incoming Bell line had been connected or did you connect to an unused phone jack in your home?  If you connected to an unused phone jack in your house, then your gate controller will not have the ability to capture and pre-process button sequences, such as "*7".  Instead, both the gate controller AND Ignite Home Phone will see and process the "*7" key presses.

JimmieW
I've been here awhile

Thanks.  Your analysis looks pretty good.   It appears the gate controller as you mentioned,  and Rogers are fighting over the star codes (vertical service codes).

The new Rogers setup is as follows:

Rogers cable in and modem are in the basement service room

It is connected to the old phone block in the basement through the L1 port

Phone is connected to a jack in the house

The gate controller is located in the garage a long way from the basement

The old Bell line was in the garage beside the gate controller

There is a six-wire phone line from the garage to the basement service room which used to carry the Bell lines into the house.

I figure I should be able to use this six-wire line to allow the gate to capture the *7 codes to avoid the conflict

There is also an intercom from gate to the house which I suspect would work if the * issue is solved

The question is to how to make this connection vis a vis the modem and phone block in the house.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation