cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to use XB7 for wifi but use my own router for DNS?

seankaw
I've been here awhile

Right now I use the XB7 in bridge mode and use my own router for everything. Problem is it's not a wifi 6 router and I'm only getting about 500 mbps standing right next to it. The reason I'm using the modem in bridge mode and using my own router is because I want to use custom DNS.

Is there any way for me to use the XB7 in gateway mode so I can use the wifi from it but still use my router for DNS?

Does that even make sense? My understanding is that 500 mbps is about typical for a wifi 5 router. Is that right?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Any way to use XB7 for wifi but use my own router for DNS?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@seankaw wrote:

Is there any way for me to use the XB7 in gateway mode so I can use the wifi from it but still use my router for DNS?

No, you can't do this.

What you are asking for is the ability for your devices to obtain IP addresses for alternate DNS servers when they connect to the network via DHCP.  The problem is that the Ignite gateways will neither allow you to configure alternate DHCP servers nor will they allow you to disable DHCP on the gateway so that you to set up an alternate DHCP server on your home network.

The only thing that you can do is configure alternate DNS servers directly on your devices, and the Ignite Gateway will allow this to work provided that you do not have Parental Controls or Advanced Security enabled.

Does that even make sense? My understanding is that 500 mbps is about typical for a wifi 5 router. Is that right?

Makes sense, but you may also find that you do not get a huge increase in throughput over Wi-Fi using your Ignite Gateway, even under ideal circumstances. Furthermore, you will also find that you are locked out of making changes to your Ignite Gateway's Wi-Fi settings; the only thing that you have control over is the Wi-Fi network name and passphrase.  If you need to manually set your Wi-Fi channel, you are stuck, and your Wi-Fi performance may suffer as a result.

Also, if you are close enough to your router or gateway to get the highest possible speeds over Wi-Fi, and speed matters, you will be better off connecting your computer to the network with Ethernet.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation