cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send a message

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

I use Thunderbird as my email client with Rogers/Yahoo.  This combination has worked perfectly for many years.

My email system has been working perfectly (sending and receiving messages) until an hour ago when I attempted to send a message.

The "send" timed out with a message "Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing Sever (SMTP) smtp.broadband.rogers.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again."

I retried and got a message, "The STAT command did not succeed. Error getting message number and size. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: Server error - Please try again later."

I am receiving messages with no problem but get the above messages when I attempt to send.

Is there a problem at the Yahoo server end?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Dave

***Added Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cannot send a message

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm using Outlook 356 for Mac and I just tested a send and got the following error message:

"Connection to the server failed or was dropped."

Looks like you're not alone. It was working fine last night. Yes, I can receive just fine.  I've seen something similar occasionally in the past and usually just wait for a while and the situation is corrected.  Let's hope so.

Whatever you do, don't change any passwords or you might get locked out as indicated in many app password threads - sample below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/504809#M73860

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

Dear 57,

Many thanks for your reply.  It sounds like it may be at the server end and knowing someone else is having a similar problem, takes a bit of a weight off my shoulders.

For that, thank you.

Dave

jc277
I plan to stick around

I have the same issue and I am relieved that it is not likely a problem at my end. I was able to send a message to myself using Webmail, so it seems the problem is the SMTP outgoing server.

If only there was a clear and simple way to get a status indication from Rogers about their SMTP, IMAP, etc. servers. I don't know of any way to get more specific diagnostic information from my email client, Thunderbird. At this point, there is nothing to do but wait, I suppose.

Email needs to be solidly reliable.

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

Thanks JC, glad to know it's not just me.  I'm trying to run a business here so am going to open a gmail account, just so I can keep going.  Dave

jc277
I plan to stick around

I successfully sent a message to myself at 16:32. Let's hope the problem is fixed long-term.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@i75Dave wrote:

...going to open a gmail account, just so I can keep going. 

1. You can use Webmail as mentioned previously.  I did that earlier today also, after the issue surfaced today for an e-mail that I needed to send right away.

2. Issue seems to be resolved as my test send from earlier went the last time I used Outlook a few minutes ago..

3. The issue may have been more than just the Rogers/Yahoo server not being able to connect properly for "sends" from apps, because I was talking to a friend and she said 3 of her e-mails did not go through and she uses Gmail on an iPhone...

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

JC and 57,

My email seems to be working again so I was able to send a queue of messages which I have been waiting to send this afternoon.

I guess the accepted solution is to wait, but I wish there was some way of Rogers/Yahoo letting we users know there is a problem at their end.

Dave

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation