cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow internet & TV in the evenings since moving to fiber

hndz-daniel
I plan to stick around

I have been trying to work out this problem for months now with seemingly no results, calling Rogers almost every week and even being in constant contact with a technician sent in by Rogers. He's since given up on me and told me to try calling again, and I know that won't lead to anything at this point so I'm left to making this post.

Basically, the problems started ever since Rogers upgraded my neighborhood to fiber/ignite earlier this year. Now, in the evenings from around 8pm-11pm (give or take), my internet speeds slow to a crawl. We pay for a gigabit, so I see approximately 900mbps-1gbps download with 50mbps upload on a computer hooked up directly to the modem via Cat6 ethernet. However, that goes down to almost 0 up/down in the evenings, and the strange thing is it does not happen every evening. I never experience this on the weekends, only on weekday evenings and it's sporadic. The other strange thing is we've never had this problem before, it only started since the neighborhood upgrade. And before we had fiber, we had a much smaller internet & TV package.

There are four users in the house and we don't do anything out of the ordinary. At most, two people will be watching ignite TV (we don't have any 4k TVs), one person will be streaming Netflix, and one person will be gaming and/or streaming. I do not believe that even at maximum load, the four of us would use up an entire gigabit, and I have also even noticed these slow speeds during evenings when no one is using the internet or TV. I can verify that no one else is using our wifi/internet connection because I don't see any unknown devices on the HomeConnect app.

The modem we use is an XB7. Restarting it doesn't do anything. The technician has also completely replaced our modem with a brand new XB7, and that didn't change anything. The best results came when he installed a coax attentuator behind our modem, and that reduces the impact of the slowness in the evenings but not by much.

I'm at a loss at what to do. This has been going on for months. Is the load in my neighborhood just that bad? I am on the east side of Markham, ON.

*Added Labels*

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Extremely slow internet & TV in the evenings since moving to fiber

Greetings @RumalYapa !

We hope this message finds you well? Thanks for sharing your concerns in this forum. If this issue is happening consistently, on every or most nights, I can definitely understand how this would cause some disruption in your night. 

To help get a better understanding of what may be happening, we'd like to start with having you complete a ping test followed by a traceroute, and if possible, post those results here in this thread. If you've never done these before, you can find the steps here

We look forward to seeing the results!

RogersYasmine

Screenshot 2023-09-22 213414.pngScreenshot 2023-09-22 213442.pngnew.pngScreenshot 2023-09-22 211615.png

Elias117
I've been here awhile

Has this been resolved?

I'm in the Markham area as well and have experienced the exact same thing for the last 4+ weeks. Everyday around 8pm-11pm, my ping levels are sky high, and internet speeds slow to a crawl. Streaming anything lags nonstop. It may be peek hours, but I did not have these kinds of slowdowns in the past. So I'm not buying the whole high traffic, peek hours excuse. Markham didn't suddenly build more houses and have more people living in the area that caused a spike in internet usage.

Outside of the 8pm-11pm hours, my speeds are normal, and most often above what I'm supposed to be getting.

Good day @Elias117,

We appreciate you are bringing this up to our attention and apologize for the inconveniences this may cause you.

To further assist you, we'd simply need a tad bit more information from you:

What troubleshooting steps do you normally go through when this type of problem surfaces?

Have you had a chance to let our technical support team know that you were experiencing these issues?

If so, was a ticket created or a technician sent out to your home?

Let us know - We'd like to help!

RogersMaude

FedUp5000
I plan to stick around

EXACT same issue in Stouffville during the exact same times... with zero help, countless calls, many tech visits and no resolutions!

Elias117
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I have talked to rogers chat before. They sent a signal to my location and had me unplug and replug the cable modem. Did not solve the problem. I have also ran the hardwire ethernet connection through the cable modem instead of my router, and still the same result. So at least that rules out my router as a cause.

As I spoke to several reps through Rogers chat from the many transfers they put me through, the common option was for me to move away from legacy high speed internet to ignite internet. I am under the impression that ignite has always been just a rebranding to move analog/digial cable tv to iptv, and that the internet part of it is all the same. There is no guarantee that moving to ignite internet is going to solve my issue of slow internet from 8pm to 11pm. I will also lose my legacy digital cable tv, and be forced to take a risk on ignite tv that relies on the internet. The benefit of keeping digital cable is that you can still watch tv even if the internet is down.

I can understand wifi issues, but this should not be happening on a hardwire connection. The one thing I am starting to wonder is if Rogers is throttling speeds during these time for whatever reason. Unacceptable for a big company like Rogers if so. I know they throttle customers who are with smaller internet providers that borrow infrastructure from Rogers like Techsavy, etc...but when you are a direct Rogers customer using their direct service, throttling is just wrong.

Elias117
I've been here awhile

Are you using their ignite internet or on a legacy package? I am on their old 300u high speed internet, and apparently when I ask if they could send a technician over to have a look, I was told that old hardware are not being serviced anymore and that I would need to be on ignite for any technician to offer any help whatsoever.

Good afternoon @Elias117!

Other users posting in this thread would be on Ignite Internet. They might have been on legacy before converting but this thread was meant for users who've had issues after moving to fibre to the home.

If you're experiencing slow speeds, I'd like to run some tests to see if I can identify any issues.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here

Regards,

RogersCorey 

@RogersCorey wrote:

Other users posting in this thread would be on Ignite Internet. They might have been on legacy before converting but this thread was meant for users who've had issues after moving to fibre to the home.

Actually, the OP has "Fibre-powered" DOCSIS/Cable Internet with a 50 Mbps upload speed, when everything is working well.

dassub
I plan to stick around

I have the exact same issue and will reach out.

Jacob9414
I've been here awhile

This thread just described the same issue I am seeing.  They are sending out a tech again this weekend.  

I have TG4482A Cable Modem.  

I am in Mississauga,  Burhamthorpe & Missisauga Rd area.  

dassub
I plan to stick around

Has anyone had this resolved?  Rogers won't look into my constant evening slowness because my gateway is in bridge mode.  This doesn't seem like an issue that's confined to my home or hardware, since it only starts in the evenings.  Gigabit down and 50 up during the day, 50 down and 5 up during the evening.  Unacceptable.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dassub wrote:

Has anyone had this resolved?  Rogers won't look into my constant evening slowness because my gateway is in bridge mode.  This doesn't seem like an issue that's confined to my home or hardware, since it only starts in the evenings.  Gigabit down and 50 up during the day, 50 down and 5 up during the evening.  Unacceptable.

I really don't know what to say about this. I don't this that this problem is caused by your Bridge Mode configuration but I can't say for sure.

If the problem is caused by congestion, Rogers should at least be able to confirm that the problem exists and that they are aware of it.  It also won't affect just you; it should affect the entire neighbourhood.  If your neighbours' Internet service is working fine and they are not seeing any slowdowns, then it is almost certainly a problem in your home with your gear that you need to fix.  If they are also seeing network slowdowns at the same time that you are, then you should all report the problem so that support tickets can get escalated to the appropriate team.

Some users complain that their network throughput slows down after upgrading their Internet speed.  It could be a provisioning issue on Rogers' side.  It could be that their network behaves strangely or does something weird under certain conditions.  It could also be a byproduct of how TCP/IP works on certain systems and how it (perhaps incorrectly) responds to certain perceived adverse network conditions.  The reason that the IP protocol suite has survived for decades is a testament to how well it functions on networks with different bandwith-delay products and how well different TCP congestion control algorithms employ heuristics to determine the amount of available bandwidth between two network endpoints to both optimize throughput and avoid network meltdowns (catastrophic network overload).  (The algorithms typically use packet loss as a signal that the network is congested.  Some use increasing delay as a signal that the network is becoming increasingly saturated.  Unfortunately, the huge buffers that ISP's (and even possibly your) networking gear use to avoid packet loss (bufferbloat) and artificial packet loss (used to implement some forms of rate limiting) also messes with these heuristics and can cause your network performance to suffer.). Yes, this stuff is complicated and complicated to troubleshoot.  It's a real pain when stuff that should "just work" doesn't.

Network experts use protocol analyzers to capture network traffic and display the data packets flowing between two endpoints, and look for anything at the network protocol level that is strange or not functioning as expected.

If you want Rogers to look at this problem, your best bet is to knuckle under and disable Bridge Mode.  At least that way, they cannot blame your equipment and they are obligated to investigate.

Qubit
I plan to stick around

Just wanted to add that I’m seeing exactly the same for my upload (going down from 50mbps to 5-20 in the evenings up until 2am. I am in Waterloo and it started happening since I received messages that they were upgrading the local fiber network. Calle’s several times and nobody finds a problem.

Good Morning @Qubit, 😊

Thanks for contributing to the conversation! We're sorry to hear about the uploading and downloading issues you're experiencing. We know how important it is to ensure you're receiving consistent speeds. We'd love the opportunity to take a further look regarding the issue. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here

Looking forward to hearing from you,

RogersJo 

I got the same problem for downloading and uploading. I also live in Waterloo. Could I know if your problem got solved or not?

Hello, @chinesealex210 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We definitely want to help you get your slow speeds issue resolved.

• Can you confirm if you are connecting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet when you are running the speed tests?
  • Are you using a fibre connection or does your modem receive the signal via a coaxial cable screwed into the back of it?

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

Just to add to @RogersTony's questions, here is a post that provides a better description of the two fibre systems that Rogers uses today.  Hopefully that will provide some clarity as to which fibre system you have:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-won-t-work-when-the-power-is-out-even-with-a-g...

Smols
I plan to stick around

Same issue in kitchener speeds went from 1500-1900 down to 600 and TONS of DNS issues. 

dassub
I plan to stick around

Slow right now. I can't even watch the Bills game without it pixelating. Upload speed bad too so can't browse easily. Using mobile now to even watch the game. Brutal.

rsrevo
I'm here a lot

Also having the same issue.

Topic Stats