cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow internet & TV in the evenings since moving to fiber

hndz-daniel
I plan to stick around

I have been trying to work out this problem for months now with seemingly no results, calling Rogers almost every week and even being in constant contact with a technician sent in by Rogers. He's since given up on me and told me to try calling again, and I know that won't lead to anything at this point so I'm left to making this post.

Basically, the problems started ever since Rogers upgraded my neighborhood to fiber/ignite earlier this year. Now, in the evenings from around 8pm-11pm (give or take), my internet speeds slow to a crawl. We pay for a gigabit, so I see approximately 900mbps-1gbps download with 50mbps upload on a computer hooked up directly to the modem via Cat6 ethernet. However, that goes down to almost 0 up/down in the evenings, and the strange thing is it does not happen every evening. I never experience this on the weekends, only on weekday evenings and it's sporadic. The other strange thing is we've never had this problem before, it only started since the neighborhood upgrade. And before we had fiber, we had a much smaller internet & TV package.

There are four users in the house and we don't do anything out of the ordinary. At most, two people will be watching ignite TV (we don't have any 4k TVs), one person will be streaming Netflix, and one person will be gaming and/or streaming. I do not believe that even at maximum load, the four of us would use up an entire gigabit, and I have also even noticed these slow speeds during evenings when no one is using the internet or TV. I can verify that no one else is using our wifi/internet connection because I don't see any unknown devices on the HomeConnect app.

The modem we use is an XB7. Restarting it doesn't do anything. The technician has also completely replaced our modem with a brand new XB7, and that didn't change anything. The best results came when he installed a coax attentuator behind our modem, and that reduces the impact of the slowness in the evenings but not by much.

I'm at a loss at what to do. This has been going on for months. Is the load in my neighborhood just that bad? I am on the east side of Markham, ON.

*Added Labels*

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Extremely slow internet & TV in the evenings since moving to fiber

dassub
I plan to stick around

A very nice tech came by the other day and told me that the taps in my area need to be changed, and should be done within a week.  He was even nice enough to give me his phone number, so that if it's still an issue in a week, I can contact him directly. So far it's still slow at night, but I will wait the full week before reaching out to him.  I'm not sure what kind of process changing taps is, but hopefully that will eventually resolve my issue.

User0549
I plan to stick around
Yeah its speed hugely inconsistant . Its a very unstable network woth speeds fluctuating wildly throughout the day . I plug a fluke directky to cacle and get 400 to 800 at the highest differnt times of the day . Called rigers they tell me to plug pc directly modem and run test . Flye cost 5k its for deyecting network isdues . The ussue lies on their network they do t give you the 1.5 speeds

dassub
I plan to stick around

I wanted to follow up here and say that after about 4 weeks, the taps in my area were replaced, and now all is good.  Speeds are blazing fast (1.8gbs down and 180mbps up) using a wired connection to my desktop.  What a difference!

Topic Stats