cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet doesn't work properly on wifi using ip 172.16.12.x

jitesh0149
I'm here a lot

I have connectivity issue to most of the websites (e.g. rogers.com, speedtest.net, cbc.ca, and lot more). Fortunately, google and youtube were working so we survived since last 25 days. After lots of follow up with tech team (which is still under investigation), I figured out that the internet doesn't work if my device are connected over wifi and getting 172.16.12.x range. While my gateway/admin console still on 10.0.0.1 and range is defined from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.255 (default one), still getting the ips are automatically allotted from 172.16.12.x series only. For now as a work around I started assigning the static ips from range 10.0.0.x and everything works fine. Again my some of the iot still suffers where I cannot configure the static ips. Can anyone please help if this is expected behavior?

***ADDED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet doesn't work properly on wifi using ip 172.16.12.x

Okay so got the issue. On modem (xb8) the lan was connected on port 4 and the other end was connected to port 4 of the netgear (home security router). So, I plugged the lan from port 4 of ignite (xb8) modem to internet of the home security. Things are working fine now 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersMoin

Hello, @jitesh0149.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for posting about your internet connectivity issues. The fact that your devices are getting IP addresses in the 172.16.12.x range is not expected behaviour.

I assume the gateway modem has been rebooted, and tech support has tried a factory reset.

Do you have third-party network gear, like range extenders/routers, etc., plugged into your gateway modem? The IP address conflict might be causing routing problems within your local network. If a third-party network gear is present, remove and power cycle your gateway modem to see if it resolves the issue. 

Let us know more about your network and if the above suggestion was helpful.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

This step has been done to unplug the extendeder and power cycle/resetting the modem again.

The strange thing here is the ip that is being picked up automatically. That belongs to home security. Again, I do have home security at home 🙂

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jitesh0149  Log into your Ignite Gateway with a web browser and go to "Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet".  Do you have the "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network:" option enabled and do you also have anything other than Home Security devices plugged into Port 2 on the Gateway?

RussellA
I plan to stick around

I would check to see that the home security router/device is connected to your modem from it's WAN port and not a numbered ethernet port.  It should go Ethernet port on the modem to WAN port on the home security device.  If it's connected to an Ethernet port on the home security router/device, the DHCP will compete & conflict will occur.

Please check below screenshot for more info

The ethernet cable is connected through the LAN port with red sign. You can check the details in above reply

jitesh0149
I'm here a lot

Ethernet Informaiton.jpg

RussellA
I plan to stick around

I was more looking for what port the extender (for security, I imagine) is connected.  If there are multiple ports, it could be in the wrong port.  If not, the extender is likely on wireless extending mode and the port is acting as a client/PC port.  If so, you should be able to disconnect the Ethernet from the extender without issue.

My home security router is connected on LAN ethernet port 4 (as shown in above  screenshot).

My extender is wireless. Even I removed the extender it doesn't work

RussellA
I plan to stick around
OK. So the security router is connected at its WAN port? From ethernet port 4 on the modem?

Okay so got the issue. On modem (xb8) the lan was connected on port 4 and the other end was connected to port 4 of the netgear (home security router). So, I plugged the lan from port 4 of ignite (xb8) modem to internet of the home security. Things are working fine now 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation