cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generac generator and mobile link

GARYGK
I've been here awhile

I recently had a generac generator installed and the app mobile link is used to monitor its status. The first week after installation no problems mobile link was talking to my generac generator. For the past week and a half the app has not been talking to my generator. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

*Added Labels*

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Generac generator and mobile link

RogersJermaine

Hi @GARYGK,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for starting this thread.

I am not familiar with the device in question, but when doing a look-up search for it, I believe you are referring to a backup generator and the mobile app to monitor it, correct?

Are you getting any error messages that it has lost connection, or is the app simply not updating the status anymore? If this is the product in question, you can try some of the steps on their website to see if you can re-establish a connection to get updates once more or troubleshoot any other issues you may encounter with it. How Do I Reconnect My Generator to a Wi-Fi Network If It Has Become Disconnected? (generac.com)

I hope this information helps.

RogersJermaine

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GARYGK the other consideration here is the security level of the modem, which determines which IP addresses that the modem will allow any device to connect to.  As this is a black box application, potentially run by Comcast and / or Rogers, there is always the possibility that someone has reported the Generac address as a spam or malware address, and as a result the address has been blacklisted by Comcast and / or Rogers.  Have a look at the security level to see if you can drop it by one level, as a test, and see if the application will run as expected.  If it does, and when you return the security level to its previous setting where the application is blocked once again, then obviously the blacklist as maintained by Comcast and /or Rogers has changed, and is now blocking access to the Generac site.  The question then is, how does one remove the address from the blacklist. 

Another consideration is whether the generator uses a 2.4 or 5 Ghz wifi network.  Have a look at the specs.  If it runs on a 2.4 Ghz link, which would make sense considering that the generator is somewhere beside the house, I'd suspect that the modem is attempting to force the generator to run on the 5 Ghz network by using Band Steering.  If this is the case, its yet another example of a constant problem with Band Steering, that keeps arising with the Comcast XBx modems.  You would have to split the networks into two separate networks, with their own network name, confirm that the generator connects to the modem and then, possibly return the networks back to a single name by enabling Band Steering once again.   Thats your decision.  You might find that you're better off without Band Steering running.   

Here's a link to the support pages for the Rogers modems:

Apps- Rogers

And here is a link for Rogers Band Steering setting.  I suspect that the Band Steering settings are the same for all of the Gen 1, 2 and 3 modems, but, I wouldn't bet on it:

How to Ensure Bandsteering is On for the Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem - Rogers

GARYGK
I've been here awhile

Thanks, I have tried their troubleshooting and it keeps disconnecting after a day or so.  I suspect it's the wifi module in the generator that is defective. 

GARYGK
I've been here awhile

The security is set to low and it connects to my router using 2.4 Ghz.  I'm thinking it's the wifi module itself.  I've contacted Generac and they are going to replace the module.  Thanks. 

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation