Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Hi folks - 

3 questions: 

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand. 

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience? 

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet? 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Home Internet and FastMile Streaming

Hi @off-grid,

When streaming, you will have download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD whether you exceed the data or not. 

Regards

RogersJermaine

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RogersJermaine

Hi @off-grid,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums, and we do thank you for your inquiry.

- Does the Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway have an ethernet port on it? I assume so but wanted to check beforehand.

There are two Gigabit Ethernet LAN connectors on the backside of the Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway 3.2.

- Is it possible to stream TV to my Chromecast (or whatever device) at 3Mbps? That seems slow but possible. Does anybody have any real world experience?

You can stream any standard-definition or up to 720p high-definition program at 3 Mbps with an acceptable set-up time and basic video clarity. You can find out more information on how much speed is required for various activities here. I have tagged a few community members that have posted in the past about the Nokia Fastmile service; hopefully they can chime in with their experience with it. @cata2ca@SHEEB, and @gareth01

- I have another 5G router (example: Sierra Wireless router) and might prefer to use it instead of Nokia. Has anybody used another non-Roger device yet?

While bridge mode is not supported by the modem, you can find some additional information or workarounds in this thread here.

I hope this information helps!

RogersJermaine

off-grid
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, sorry I have 1 more question as I am reading conflicting comments on this. 

Question #4 - so if I stay under the 500GB/month threshold, can I stream video (ex: ignitetv, other streaming services) at the normal speeds and not be throttled at 3Mbps on the downlink?

Thanks in advance

Hi @off-grid,

When streaming, you will have download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, good for videos up to 720p HD whether you exceed the data or not. 

Regards

RogersJermaine

off-grid
I've been here awhile

That's too bad. I'm not sure that it's going to work with my google Chromecast that supports HD video. I am not sure if it will negotiate at lower data rates... Perhaps I will give it a try and see if it works. 

rflats771
I plan to stick around
Lol, I'm having the same problem, there's NO WAY that in 2024 you should be limited to 720p resolution, how can you sell this piece of garbage with that limitation?
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation