cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Wi-Fi Calling Whilst Outside Canada -> Roaming Charges, Why?

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

Historically, unlike Bell and Telus, Rogers was not charging roaming fees when using Wi-Fi Calling outside of Canada. But things have changed, apparently.

Now, both Bell and Telus do not provide Wi-Fi Calling services outside of Canada. Perhaps billing for roaming on Wi-Fi Calling was challenging (or challenged!) and now, instead of providing the service for free, they decided to provide it not at all (and charge roaming the old-fashion way).

Rogers, instead, have not only made things confusing, but also unfair. In an nutshell, if a user is using Wi-Fi Calling outside of Canada:

• The user will not pay for roaming if calling a Canadian number;
  • The user will be charged roaming fees if calling a non-Canadian number.

This does not make sense to me because in either case the user is not connected to the Rogers wireless network, i.e. is roaming. But I find this also abusive because, as long as a user is on Wi-Fi Calling, the user is connected to an Internet provider, at the user's cost, whilst Rogers will not incur additional roaming charges from a partner third-party wireless provider.

For clarity, please note that I am talking about roaming charges, not long-distance charges. The latter are not the subject of this post.

What is going with Rogers? Another attempt to make a free buck on the back of their customers?

Does Rogers' approach make sense? Am I missing anything?

Rogers Wi-Fi CallingRogers Wi-Fi Calling

**Added Labes**

***Removed 3rd party images***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rogers Wi-Fi Calling Whilst Outside Canada -> Roaming Charges, Why?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

WiFi Calling works exactly like how I have always expected it to. When using WiFi Calling outside of Canada, it treats calls and texts, incoming amd outgping, like they originated in Canada. Any call or text not covered by your plan is billable. You might be on an internet service that is paid for but your service still connects to the Rogers Network through the internet to place and receive calls and texts.

Edit:  Try thinking about it this way.  That SIM in your device provides a service.  If you remove the SIM.  Can you make and receive calls and texts using WiFi Calling?  No!  Whether that SIM uses your internet or someone elses, regardless of where it is.  It must connect to the Rogers Network to provide the service for your number, whether it is connecting to a tower, satellite, or through the internet in some way.  

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

Generally, I agree with you, and thank for your thoughts. 

I think you are absolutely right when you say this: "When using WiFi Calling outside of Canada, it treats calls and texts, incoming amd outgping, like they originated in Canada." 

Therefore, if I am, say, in the UK on Wi-Fi Calling and I call a number in Germany, then long-distance charges should indeed apply. I agree with this.

But Rogers is also charging roaming fees, e.g. RLH, in this case when, as you said, it treats the calls/texts as originating in Canada (so no roaming).

And why is Rogers not charging roaming fees when calling a Canadian number when on Wi-Fi Calling outside of Canada?

In both cases, the phone is physically located outside of Canada. On Wi-Fi Calling Rogers should not charge roaming fees for either call (correct and fair, in my opinion), or should charge for both type of calls (yes, as you said, providing a service, but unfair, in my opinion).

Do you see where my confusion stems from?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
There are two waya to deal with WiFi Calling. If you are using it in a roaming situation, like I am currently. If you don't want to incur roaming fees. Make sure the device is put in Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi so WiFi Calling turns on. WiFi has the ability to hand off a call to cellular seemlessly without any notifixation when that WiFi signal becomes weak or the WiFi speeds are less than optimal. When that call is handed off to cellular, it will not hand the call back to WiFi Calling, if the cell signal is very weak. This is how you get slapped with roaming fees. If the device is in Airplane Mode, you ensure the call is solely over WiFi amd not being handed off.

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

That I know, too. Thanks.

I am not sure if you've read Rogers' page that I posted above, though. The page is only about Wi-Fi calls placed whilst being outside of Canada. It is not about calls made on third-party cellular network.

Rogers says:

• If the Wi-Fi call is made to a non-Canadian number -> roaming charges apply;
  • It is hence implied that Wi-Fi calls made to Canadian numbers are not subjected to roaming charges.

fgfgf
I plan to stick around

So you would prefer that Rogers do the same as Bell and Telus, and set things up so they can charge roaming and/or long distance for ALL calls/texts made outside Canada?

At least when wifi calling works, you can call/text Canadian numbers for no extra cost.

@LordDrakkon's advice is correct.  If your intention is to do things with wifi only, lock out the possibilities for your phone to switch to the foreign mobile network.  If it does, you will get dinged for the roaming charge.

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

I am sorry, @fgfgf, but may I gently suggest that you read my initial comment first, so that you might be able to provide a relevant response, if applicable? To make matters simple, the essence of my post was questioning this:

"...if a user is using Wi-Fi Calling outside of Canada:

• [...]
  • The user will be charged roaming fees if calling a non-Canadian number."
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation