cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Wi-Fi in housing complex for two years, not secure

mocklerrodney43
I've been here awhile
Hi there everybody I live at Abiwin co-op. Abiwin has an account with Rogers an email rogers@abiwin.com and abiwin rogers.com. These emails are filtering and monitoring members in the building who particularly are on any kind of government assistance such as ODP and CPP

For two years I have asked the building coordinator to secure the network and they flat out refuse. I have called Rogers and they don’t know what I’m talking about.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Public Wi-Fi in housing complex for two years, not secure

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mocklerrodney43 wrote:
Hi there everybody I live at Abiwin co-op. Abiwin has an account with Rogers an email rogers@abiwin.com and abiwin rogers.com. These emails are filtering and monitoring members in the building who particularly are on any kind of government assistance such as ODP and CPP

For two years I have asked the building coordinator to secure the network and they flat out refuse. I have called Rogers and they don’t know what I’m talking about.

Whenever you use anyone's "free" Wi-Fi, you run the risk that your traffic could be monitored, filtered or intercepted.  You could use a VPN service to prevent anyone from eavesdropping on your traffic while using an untrusted network, or just get your own Internet connection and Wi-Fi from a provider that you trust.

mocklerrodney43
I've been here awhile
Oh, you’re a 100% correct and for two years I’ve been expressing that exact thought until I’m blue in the face and then I thought well I should contact Rogers and I have a technician come in to the office coordinator and say we’re here to secure your network and they won’t do.
When I say they won’t do, it is the Board of Directors and the building coordinator To secure the network and they simply won’t. I guess my question now would be. Can I call Rogers on behalf of the building? I live in as a member it’s very concerned to ask them to come down and secure the number with the proper protocols.

@mocklerrodney43 To be honest, I don't fully understand the privacy issues that you and the other residents are dealing with.  If you have open Wi-Fi that is available to all, yes you can improve things by setting a passphrase and forcing WPA2 security.  (Some open Wi-Fi networks set the network name and passphrase to be the same.). If you are concerned that your building management is spying on your traffic, you can take them to court if they are violating their own privacy policy and their own terms of service... but it's not Rogers' problem.  The solution is to get your own Internet and Wi-Fi service and not use any untrusted network services.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation