cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or Legit? - Season Promotions Department

iovbsha3ea-s
I've been here awhile

I've been cold called by person claiming to work for Rogers offering me an amazing deal. I'm not currently a Rogers customer. I told them I would think about it and they called me back the next day. I got their name and they said they work for "Rogers Seasonal/Seasons Promotion Department" and gave me some kind of employee ID. I am very skeptical though as the deal is literally 50% cheaper than anything on the website. To proceed with the offer they need my name, address, DOB and a credit card number to perform a credit check. If the credit score is good they say I will get a further $5 monthly discount. After that they say I will get an email and can proceed to set up an account and pick up my phone from any Rogers store?

Has anyone had experience with such things? Surely Rogers must offer some way for me to verify this is legitimate? The person on the end of the line does sound very professional and convincing but then again a good scammer would be.

***Edited Labels***

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Scam or Legit? - Season Promotions Department

iovbsha3ea-s
I've been here awhile

Also, the number they call on does not say Rogers on the caller ID. It is a BC 604 area code (I am in BC) and it is different each time they call, they said is normal for this kind of promotion.

Bartsimp
I've been here awhile
I would be weary I just had a similar experience but I am a rogers customer. Before speaking about anything with the sale rep she already “modified my plans” and sent a technician to my home but rogers doesn’t k ow anything about it…

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@iovbsha3ea-s  Give this "deal" a pass.  There has been an epidemic of scams pulled on Rogers customers and potential Rogers customers in the recent past.  The problem is bad enough that you can't actually trust a call that might be from a so called "Rogers" agent, unless you have very recently left Rogers and the Winback group is attempting to bring your business back to Rogers.  In that case it would be logical to talk to the Winback agent.  In all other cases, I'd say, hang up, and save yourself a lot of angst and aggravation.

If you scroll thru recent past posts, you will see numerous examples of this scam being played out.  

As they say, if something sounds too good to be true, that is usually the case.  Just hang up. 

For anyone looking to communicate with a Rogers agent regarding phones, plans, pricing, etc, send a message to the moderators at @CommunityHelps indicating what you're looking for and your account number if you're already a Rogers customer.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps page.  On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page.  The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner.  That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox.  From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @communityhelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message.  Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically.  Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

RogersZia

Hi @iovbsha3ea-s,

Welcome to the Community! 

It sounds a lucrative deal, and typically we would need similar info to run a credit check and set up a brand new account. However it is becoming increasing hard to tell a spam call from a legitimate one. What we can do is review your account and confirm if an outbound call was made on your account or not. 

Please let us know if you would like us to do so.

RogersZia

mitz840
I've been here awhile

Hi @RogersZia ,

I am also getting repeated calls from person claiming to be from Rogers promotions team.

they are offering me a deal for a phone + data plan , all included in 50$.

and phone is also are unbelievably high end iPhone pro model or an android devise s24 ultra.

I am not sure if this is a legit promotion available to me. If true, I'd get it in a heart beat. 

Greetings @mitz840 👋

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! As a consumer myself, I too can appreciate a great deal. In all honesty, with all the scams out there nowadays, one can't be too dilligent. With that said, we can certainly check your account to verify if there was an outgoing attempt to connect with you. 

I also want to mention that we have a super helpful blog written by our very own @RogersYasmine, on Protecting Yourself Against Fraud. If you'd like us to have a gander for you on our end, feel free to connect with us by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.

Cheers, 

RogersJo 

anne_gencor
I've been around

Thanks for all the postings. 
Just got a call claiming to be Rogers Promotion Department, that's why she didn't have my account detail, but would like to offer me 40% discount off my Rogers internet and mobile plans for a 2-years term.
It is not a contract, but I would receive the paper at my door step tomorrow as well as technician once.

This is absolutely a scam!!!!

Blocked and reported the number 778-978-2866. Please watch out and pass this around!

I live in GTA and got a call from 416* (Toronto) number claiming Rogers. He said he is from promotion team and offering 40$/month+tax, free iPhone 14, unlimited data and calling(two year contract, no need to return device). It’s too good to be true and I just gave it a pass.

Babylegs1
I plan to stick around

sounds like a scam

Dhinu05
I've been around
I have got a similar call yesterday and there were 2 person/department to whom i was discussing about this amazing offer . 1st i was talking with “Rogers sales and promotion “ where an offer of 40% off on the existing Roger’s line and Contract pay off on my other line with Fido plus a new iphone 15 pro with 0 down and 0 monthly payment for 24 months for just 48$ (tax in) .

Second , i had a call from another guy from “Rogers processing” team where they confirmed the order and expect me to receive an email and paper work along with phone delivery in 3 days . Wow, this is so well organized! But the offer was jaw dropping , i had to admit.

They also shared some order number, contact person name ( Zoya Ali), employee id (1001) and contact number from BC (604 953 9891) which says google caller and goes to vm. After taking all basic info(name, address, dob etc), they took my Fido and Roger’s account number and they also asked me to share SIN and Credit card details, which I politely declined as I wasn’t comfortable sharing and they accepted it.

This is some serious stuff and people can easily loose money. Please be careful.

akemi12
I've been here awhile

I also got a call from that number saying that they were the Promotional Department...

rwedewer
I've been here awhile

Can someone reach out to me to confirm whether I've been contacted? Just got this call similar to OP today.

rwedewer
I've been here awhile

Got this call also sounded very professional, quoting number 604-953-9891. Anyone able to confirm whether this is actually a scam or not from Rogers?

akemi12
I've been here awhile
I contacted Rogers about that number and they confirmed that it was a scam call. I also thought it sounded legit but when they started calling me repeatedly, I started getting suspicious.

rwedewer
I've been here awhile

Oof yeah, seems like it was a scam. Glad I didn't give them an account PIN they were wanting or the email verification number they were wanting. The email itself says no employee will ever ask you for this information, so I was like....ummm no, I'm not telling you that number over the phone lol.

But they really seemed quite legit other than the deal being too good to be true.

akemi12
I've been here awhile
They didn’t offer me any spectacular deal either - just $20 my internet bill as a promotion which seemed reasonable. But when they kept calling I just told them this was too much for $20 and I stopped answering. They were asking me reasonable things like confirming my account number and verifying my identity by giving my drivers license. This didn’t throw up any red flags because when I switched cell phone providers to Rogers, they also wanted my drivers license. I feel like I gave only basic information but hopefully it wasn’t too much that they could do something with it. Identifying scam calls might easier if I knew what kind of info they are looking for and how they are using it against me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To all recent posters: Check out the following links on scam calls and what to do if you think it's legit and wish to pursue it further.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/How-to-Avoid-Caller-ID-Spoofing-and-Spam-C...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Call-claiming-new-internet-dea...

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 in conversation