cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there Ignite TV boxes that connect via coaxial rather than wi-fi?

phrenzee1
I've been around

The reason why I'm asking is that my current Legacy modem cuts out several times per day.  This has happened with other modems, so I anticipate that if I switch from Legacy to Ignite, the new modem will also lose connection regularly. 

If the new TV boxes are wi-fi only, there goes my television signal as well.  My current Legacy boxes are connected via coaxial and do not lose their signal when the modem does.

I don't want to switch to Ignite, but I have an annual credit that elapsed and was told that I can't have it reinstated unless I switch to Ignite.  

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are there Ignite TV boxes that connect via coaxial rather than wi-fi?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the older rogers digital tv uses a private cable tv network separate from your internet,  if the internet went down, the tv  would still work as they were a different network or segment,  the new ignite tv uses IP based technology to deliver tv, so it uses an internet based technology, if the internet goes down so does the TV, there are pros and cons for each technology this happens to be one of them

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are several factors you have to take into consideration not just the location of the modem.  Wi-Fi is not equal, the newer modems also support more Wi-Fi bands than the older ones do, so that is also why the latest standards make a difference.

If your signal cut out with the old modem chances are, when u replace it with the ignite modem, you may not have cutting out you may notice a big improvement, plus the new modems you can order/rent Wi-Fi extenders to help with spotty coverage, usually older modems are not compatible with these extenders.

And to answer your other question, the ignite tv receivers work on both Wi-Fi or Ethernet. so if the Wi-Fi signal is bad, you can plug it in with an ethernet connection.  Some people are also fortunate to have their house wired with Ethernet, while some  have paid to have the wires professionally  run in their house.,   nothing beats a hardwired connection but then again it is also not cheap to run such wires thru your house so you decide whats best.

No one runs coax anymore and rogers ignite will no longer use the existing coax inside wiring, they become disconnected and not needed with ignite.

danno100
I plan to stick around

Put your Modem in bridge mode(instructions on rogers site), then you can run ethernet to a router to feed your computers and digital boxes.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the older rogers digital tv uses a private cable tv network separate from your internet,  if the internet went down, the tv  would still work as they were a different network or segment,  the new ignite tv uses IP based technology to deliver tv, so it uses an internet based technology, if the internet goes down so does the TV, there are pros and cons for each technology this happens to be one of them

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned in the previous posts, IgniteTV uses a different technology, but you are not solely reliant on WiFi to get the TV signal from the Gateway to the TV boxes.

1. You can use Ethernet connection/cables.

2. If it's not possible to easily run Ethernet cables and/or if the runs are long, then it's possible in many homes to install a Powerline Adaptor, which uses the wiring in the home to distribute Ethernet signals from the Gateway to the TV box.  Cost is usually a bit over $100.

3. If there are Coaxial cables installed in your home in a useable position, it's possible to put adapters at each end to turn these Coaxial cables into Ethernet connections.

Also, as stated in posts above, if your Internet signal is "poor" now, this will affect the Ignite Internet and TV.  If you have a poor Internet signal at your home, you should get this fixed before switching, or during the switch.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation