cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost many TV channels

emveepee
I'm here a lot

On Wednesday I lost about half may channels,  all of them on the upper 700Mhz spectrum as show on the STB diagnostics screen. I phoned the useless Rogers support line saying all the old non Ignite boxes are not supported so they won't to bother on sending a tech. out to even look.   They are happily taking $100 a month which I need to cancel because even some basic cable channels are impacted.  I don't know how to get a tech to come and confirm, I did love specific channels before when water was damaging the line.

All of this happens withrogers.jpgout any notice or warning on the end of support for my device.  I was planning on going to Bell or Rogers because I also need to move to 10Gb networking etc to take advantage of the new speeds but this is spearheading it.

Can anyone confirm that the old boxes don't work on the 700Mhz spectrum or do you think it is another problem?

*Added Labels*

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Lost many TV channels

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your S/N ratio is very poor.  It should be at least 33 and preferably above 35, closer to 37-39.  I suspect that is the issue.  Try connecting the box as close to the demarcation point in your home as possible to eliminate as many splitters or wire runs as possible. This may tell you if the issue is inside or outside your home.

Did you check with your neighbours to see if they are also having issues?  It is well known that everyone is being migrated to IgniteTV and that digital TV is ending, but it's important to have the signal sorted before migration.

emveepee
I'm here a lot

I connected it directly to the powered splitter that separates the cable modem and TV earlier with no luck.  I just  confirm even at 36-37db it is still black.  I have since cancelled cable TV and will just use OTA in the meantime.  The main issue is the lack of support for the $130 a  month that I was paying up to now.  Ignite will cost even more for the same package and I lost component out,  firewire tuning and all kinds of nice things.

rogers.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Try removing the powered splitter and use a barrel connector or a simple two-way splitter unpowered. When directly connected your signal level was 8 dB which is too high, it should be close to zero to be optimum. Also note that your FDC S/N is low.

emveepee
I'm here a lot

With 5 cable boxes and Internet I always did need the splitter that Rogers provided.   Here is the raw feed, still black (but showing subscribed for now, not sure how long the shutoff takes).  rogers.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your latests screenshot shows the QAM level at 10 dB and orange (bad - way too high and can even damage the set top box, probably due to the amp.)

I realize that you cannot operate without the splitter, however, not using the splitter and having the box connected close to the demarcation point temporarily will indicate if you have a problem with your home wiring or your amp/splitter(s) etc.

emveepee
I'm here a lot

That screenshot was raw, with no splits, amp or even the ground, direct to the STB.

emveepee
I'm here a lot

So today the channels are back and (deep freeze over?) even with the splitters  things are fine.    That QAM level did drop dramatically, channels that were working before are actually higher around 2db.rogers.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm guessing the cold weather caused contraction of the metals in the cable outside your home and a poor connection there.  These sorts of issues are the most difficult to get sorted because they are temporary.  

I had a similar issue when it was windy years ago and a branch came down on the line in our neighbourhood.  I talked to my neighbours and they were having signal issues like me, but none of them reported the issue to Rogers.  It wasn't until I reported it to Rogers  and mentioned that neighbours were having similar problems that they looked at the signal in my neighbourhood and put in a new main line for our neighbourhood.

emveepee
I'm here a lot

Yes this is not the first time in 25 years I have had a line issue at this house, I have a very long cable run, 100' or more.   The issue for me from is that Rogers refused to come and look at the line because I only have many old generation STBs (including the 4k box) even when I told them it was most likely a  line issue and not frequency related.  My understanding is that when I get an XB7, while I decide which fiber service (Bell or Rogers) and 10GB router to use, it will use the same line so some spectrum will be lost.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation