cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do with old digital boxes (in Toronto)?

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

I have about a dozen old digital cable boxes - SA3200, SAS3250HD, SA4250HD, SA8300HD and some Nextbox boxes.  I own all of these boxes - none were rented from Rogers.  Several of these boxes will be deactivated on April 30, and the others can no longer be added to a Rogers account so there is no point giving or selling them to anyone.

Should I just put these out on garbage day to be collected as part of the city of Toronto's Electronic Waste program?

Is there any point in taking them back to Rogers? 

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What do I do with old digital boxes (in Toronto)?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Put them out with the trash.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OR instead of putting them out in the trash, you can think of the environment, and drop them off at any place that accepts e-waste for recycling. Lots of places are willing to accept old digital boxes, and divert them from ending up in the landfill

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 Per the FAQ, "I’ve replaced my TV box. What should I do with the older one? ", you can put your old STBs in a box and send them back to Rogers at no charge.

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

I could send/take them back to Rogers but is there any point?  They won't be reused - what's the difference between putting the boxes out for electronic recycling with the city and taking them back to Rogers?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

I could send/take them back to Rogers but is there any point?  They won't be reused - what's the difference between putting the boxes out for electronic recycling with the city and taking them back to Rogers?

Since you own the boxes, Rogers shouldn't care whether or not you return them or what you choose to do with them.  However, if there is a system glitch on their side and some system says that you need to return one of your boxes, then what?  Rogers will also have a proper e-waste management plan for the old set-top boxes.  I would send the boxes to Rogers for disposal... but that's just my opinion.

I'll tag @CommunityHelps and ask for their input.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation