cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No More Gigabit Plans

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I was on the Rogers website today and noticed the fastest plan they offer for my address is 500Mbps down, 150Mbps up. I am currently on Gigabit 1.5 (and Gigabit 1.0 for 8 Years before that). Anyone know why they aren't offering faster packages anymore?

***Edited Labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: No More Gigabit Plans

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor

I have 1.5Gbps down and 50Mbps up. I really want up. I would gladly switch to 500Mbps down and 150Mbps up for a lower price than I pay now. I am going to have to check what is available here.

Edit:  I still see it as an option on mine.  I have to swipe the package from left to right to see the 1.5Gbps option.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

I was on the Rogers website today and noticed the fastest plan they offer for my address is 500Mbps down, 150Mbps up. I am currently on Gigabit 1.5 (and Gigabit 1.0 for 8 Years before that). Anyone know why they aren't offering faster packages anymore?

Rogers must be in the middle of updating their web site with new speed tiers for your area, with the 500 Mbps plan now having 150 Mbps upload speed, up from 30 Mbps.

@LordDrakkon wrote:

I have 1.5Gbps down and 50Mbps up. I really want up. I would gladly switch to 500Mbps down and 150Mbps up for a lower price than I pay now. I am going to have to check what is available here.

Edit:  I still see it as an option on mine.  I have to swipe the package from left to right to see the 1.5Gbps option.

Rogers has been talking about increasing upload speeds for quite a while now.  Here's the active thread where we have been discussing availability of these upgrades: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Upload-Increase/m-p/517432

Right now, my upstream traffic is being carried on 4 bonded DOCSIS 3.0 QAM channels (one 16-QAM and three 64-QAM) so until this configuration changes, there is no possible way for me to attain upload speeds higher than 100 Mbps.

@gp-se Try power cycling your Ignite Gateway and run a speed test.  There is a very good chance you will (or will very soon) get the higher upload speed.

In my area, I can (apparently) get 100 Mbps upload speeds from several TPIA providers but still can only get 1500/50 from Rogers.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Never mind, they do show 1.5 Gigabit with 150Mbps upload in my area. The reason I checked all this is because I'm having issues with my connection. My plan is 1.5 Gigabit down, 150Mbps upload, and 9/10 times I get 150Mbps upload. However I notice sometimes the upload becomes unstable and "jittery" then the speed drops in half to 70Mbps upload.

When this happens I log in to the modem and see the upstream power level comes out of spec. The upstream power level is 50+ dBmv most of the time. So my upstream power is level is almost at the max spec which I believe is causing my upstream issues. 

I did an online chat and explained this, but the support agent didn't understand, and said I am getting above 50Mbps upload so my connection is good. I tried to explain the modem line stats were out of spec, but that didn't go well, and they kept insisting nothing is wrong since I am getting above 50Mbps upload. Even though I explained after I reboot the modem I get 150-170Mbps upload, then a few hours/days later is drops in half. 

I believe I need a tech or maintenance crew to adjust the power at the tap/amp on the street? All the Coax and Terminals in my house are brand new. Downstream signal is around +6 to +8, so downstream is hot, but upstream is weak.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Never mind, they do show 1.5 Gigabit with 150Mbps upload in my area. The reason I checked all this is because I'm having issues with my connection. My plan is 1.5 Gigabit down, 150Mbps upload, and 9/10 times I get 150Mbps upload. However I notice sometimes the upload becomes unstable and "jittery" then the speed drops in half to 70Mbps upload.

This could be due to TCP congestion control kicking in.

When this happens I log in to the modem and see the upstream power level comes out of spec. The upstream power level is 50+ dBmv most of the time. So my upstream power is level is almost at the max spec which I believe is causing my upstream issues. 

I did an online chat and explained this, but the support agent didn't understand, and said I am getting above 50Mbps upload so my connection is good. I tried to explain the modem line stats were out of spec, but that didn't go well, and they kept insisting nothing is wrong since I am getting above 50Mbps upload. Even though I explained after I reboot the modem I get 150-170Mbps upload, then a few hours/days later is drops in half. 

I believe I need a tech or maintenance crew to adjust the power at the tap/amp on the street? All the Coax and Terminals in my house are brand new. Downstream signal is around +6 to +8, so downstream is hot, but upstream is weak.

I would send a PM to @CommunityHelps and ask them to look into your power levels.  Are you seeing > 50.0 dBmV across all upstream channels, QAM and OFDMA?  The power levels on OFDM/OFDMA channels measure differently than a 6MHz QAM channel.  I think our modems normalize the power levels on D3.1 channels but it's still worth asking a support tier (higher than the L1 & chat teams) to investigate and escalate any issues to maintenance.

If your power levels are out of whack, it's possible that crews are in the midst of upgrading the HFC infrastructure in your area.  @CommunityHelps should also be able to confirm whether or not that is the case.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se  At your address, did the techs ever install any splitters or perhaps a return path attenuator anywhere on the signal path to your modem?  If you have an RPA, you can remove it.  If a tech installed a splitter to attenuate the signal, removing it will bring your upstream power levels closer to normal but your downstream power levels may be way too high.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Thanks, I'll send @CommunityHelps a PM. As for the upstream levels, the QAM channels are 50 dBmv, OFDMA is 43 dBmv, but signal rate is 0 which I assume means disabled?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Thanks, I'll send @CommunityHelps a PM. As for the upstream levels, the QAM channels are 50 dBmv, OFDMA is 43 dBmv, but signal rate is 0 which I assume means disabled?

If the Symbol Rate is 0, I'm pretty certain that this indicates that the OFDM channel is either inactive or may have dropped.  If you have only Upstream QAM channels (with symbol rates of 2560, 5120, 5120 and 5120) active, your actual upload speed will top out at 100 Mbps, and you might see other weird issues happening.  I'm also pretty sure that if the OFDMA channel goes down, it will probably drop out of the bonding group rather than causing your modem to reset.

Do you also happen to know whether you are still on an old analog fibre node or whether your area has been upgraded to a DAA / R-PHY node?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

No splitters are installed. From the Demarc it goes to a ground block, then RG6 into the house and directly to the modem. How do I know if my area has the upgraded DAA Node? I would assume it does because my area had 150Mbps upload speed last summer when Rogers was internally testing it. They also replaced some equipment on my street within the last two years, we never had connectivity issues, so I assume it was upgraded hardware.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

How do I know if my area has the upgraded DAA Node?

From a timing perspective, as far as I know, Rogers started upgrading to Casa DA 2200 R-PHY nodes in early 2023.  At the time, the hardware/software was still very unstable in some configurations.

The upgrade should have been mostly transparent.  On the plus side, when the modem termination moved from the legacy CMTS in the headend to the R-PHY node, the SNR on my downstream channels jumped from 35 dB to 43.5 dB.  On the downside, pings RTTs to 8.8.8.8 went from a very steady 12-15 ms to 25-40 ms, and I would also see regular latency spikes in the 100-200 ms range, sometimes jumping to 600-1200 ms.  A few days after my cut-over in March 2023, when they switched to a more advanced channel configuration, the new node went down hard and service became totally unusable in several neighbourhoods (that had also been upgraded) for DAYS until they could revert the changes.

In my area, crews installed a new cabinet to house the new node and performed the cut-over in the middle of the night after a few days of testing.  You may have also seen them upgrade components so that the cable plant in your area can support 1.2 GHz (or higher) and transition to a mid-split configuration.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I have the new hardware then, because it was last winter they installed/upgraded the equipment on my street. And last summer I was getting 150Mbps upload speed when Rogers was testing it.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation