cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free MTV

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

If you have the CTV app on your Smart Tv or mobile device and like shows or programs on MTV it is unlocked now along with Throwback and CTV Movies. Another alternative to not having to subscribe to your tv provider for this speciality channel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Free MTV

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have a valid point.  It's not just Rogers' to blame, the cost of living is out of control with other goods and services in Canada as well.  Everyone is looking to make their life more enjoyable without breaking the bank

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

RogersYasmine

Greetings @Flavour1 !

I hope you've been doing well? Thanks so much for sharing this tidbit with the rest of the community. I'm sure it's appreciated by many. 🙂

Have a good weekend!

RogersYasmine

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi Yasmine, As a consumer to Rogers or ei. Canadian Tire, Home Depot etc. I look for the best price or alternative. Now that broadcasters are using the internet (apps) and other sources, we don’t have to totally depend on Rogers or any TV provider.

Rogers can’t even give their subscribers apps ei. CBC Gem, CTV, Global TV, YES TV, TVO,, City TV, CP 24, CTV News Channel, which are Canadian. (and free). These are all available on the App Store. Though Rogers carries some apps like Tubi TV, Fawesome, Xumo Play which are American why not the Canadian ones.

Hopefully the CRTC will step in and make changes. There are a lot of changes coming to the way people view TV now. And if TV providers don’t change with the times their time is going to be very limited. There is a lot more that Rogers could offer their subscribers and if they don’t subscribers will leave and find it elsewhere.

if something is on sale or a better deal elsewhere, that is where they will go.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi Yasmine, I was also going to mention about some apps . I don’t subscribe to Rogers for CP24 or CTV News channel. I use their apps from the App Store free from Bell Media. CBC Gem app14 timeshift channels (free) Yes Tv app (3 timeshift channels (free) Global TV App ( 7  timeshift channels,  National Geographic, Lifetime, Slice, History, W Network, etc. all free no sign in. There are alternatives. Eventually we will drop Rogers completely.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not believe you can watch CP24 live broadcast thru the app unless you are a subscriber on one of the linear cable or satellite or iptv tv providers, in that case your just browsing news stories on the app, which anyone can do from their web site.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi Pauly, The CP 24 and CTV News Channel app is available from the App Store and is available only on mobile devices ( iPhone, IPad) IOS. With no sign in to TV provider. I am watching them both on my iPad now. ( Live). I think Bell Media made this decision so that these two news channels would be available to people with mobile devices, I have had both apps on our IPads for quite a while. The also has the Chromecast symbol in the right top corner of the screen to cast to your TV. 
This frees up two channel spots with our Flex 10 package so that we can receive other channels you offer.

Let me know if you can download CP 24 and CTV News Channel on your mobile device. 

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Forgot to mention also BNN Bloomberg app is also available on IOS from the App Store. People on the move want these services and channels live on their mobile devices and don’t have to sign in to a provider. I know you are speaking through Rogers but things are changing we don’t all have to sit in front of our TV’s anymore. People want these services outside of their homes. In the old days to watch these you had subscribe to these channels, not anymore, eventually a lot of speciality channels will move to an app. And why Rogers moved back to 100 or more channel universe, ( Popular and Total) where the Flex system offered choice and not a lot of unwanted channels.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

I mentioned the other day that CP 24, CTV News Channel and BNN Bloomberg all have apps to download from the AppStore.  This announcement came from Bell Media : Bell Media announces the launch of these digital apps available free online on IOS Apple devices and Android phones and tablets. For the first time these apps will bring live coverage to IPads and Android devices, dramatically increasing the presence of these channels across multiple platforms. These will provide Live and on demand material on these devices. They have Chromecast capability to cast to your TV.

“We are delighted to bring viewers a new way to turn to Canada’s most trusted news sources wherever and whenever they need it” said Wendy Freeman, CTV News.

So why is Rogers not carrying CANADIAN apps like CBC Gem, Global TV, City TV, CTV, Yes TV, The Knowledge Network (BC) TVO. Rogers a Canadian company is very selective who they include. International apps ones - Plex TV, Distro

TV. Most News channels like France 24, Al Jazerra, NHK, Euronews, DW, Fox News, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, Newsmaxx and the list goes all have free apps and live content. Rogers carries free apps like Tubi Tv, Fawesome, Xumo Play, Filmrise, NBC News, The Weather Network free with adds. Then why not CBC Gem, CTV, Global TV,  City TV, Yes TV which are free with ads. If these apps are free to the consumer from the App Store, why is Rogers not carrying them. Something doesn’t sound right here, my faith in Rogers as a Canadian company is diminishing very quickly.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Flavour1,

This looks to be something new.  A few months back, you could NOT watch a life newscast on those apps, they must have negociated something new,  anyways when you are watching on the rogers box with those apps, you are not using your cable tv subscription, you are using the public internet, so you have to watch it in the app only, if you want to watch it on your actual Ignite TV, you would have to pay,.  The end result is the same you get the chanenl, but watching it thru the ignite box, gives you the ability to record the channel and change channels on the fly, which the app does not eaisly allow you, so it  may be free to the viewer but its technically a different way to receive it.

I just checked and it is not exclusive to iPhoneOS and iPadOS devices, it is also free on Android devices too,  the ignite tv box also appears to be a customized android box.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Thank You Pauly, Everybody is trying to save money, more and more TV Networks are moving along to the App platform, CBC Gem, CTV, Global TV, Yes Tv with no sign in required. These are ad supported anyways, no different than watching with any TV Provider It also gives them greater presence for viewers on the go, no different than what Stingray did moving to an app system for mobile or TV. I have the Global Tv on our iPad and on our Smart Tv and get with no sign in required

Global BC, Toronto, Maritimes, Calgary, Edmonton, LIVE, (notnews channels) , History, Showcase, W Network, HGTV, Food Network, Slice, National Geographic

and Lifetime.,  CBC Gem offers 14 timeshift, Yes Tv offers 3 timeshift all through their apps. Free!!

We have still the Flex 10 package so we pick our 10 favourite ones and use the apps for others, so really I am getting more than 10 channels as we use the apps from the Tv networks this saves switching channels all the time.

Hope this helps you, Rogers will be glad to collect your money every month, but you have be your own advocate and look for alternatives, that basically gives you the same thing at nearly no cost other than the cost of the internet. The world is yours use it. I sent the Bell Media announcement to Rogers Corey when they decided to add CP24, CTV News channel and BNN also to the app platform to give greater presence and availability  to the public, Rogers doesn’t care, as long as they get your monthly subscription. Take care.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

I forget to mention  Pauly all these Apps either have Chromecast or Airplay ( Apple) symbol at the top right hand corner of your mobile device or IPad and if your tv can detect this through your wifi you can cast to your TV. This whole scenario is saving us big bucks, that I would have to pay in subscription fees to Rogers. Use it or lose it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I totally agree with trying to save money, we are living in very tough times financially, and every little bit counts.

I too was paying big bucks for TV for many years, but after moving houses recently, I have decided to not subscribe to linear TV at all, and basically watch the free content on apps, as well as watch free movies borrowed from the library.   I get it, you want to watch tv and save money. why not just cancel rogers completely and watch apps on your TV? you can save a ton more money?    chromecasting a show is not new, i have been doing it for the last 6 or more  years

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Hi Pauly, And Rogers just doesn’t get it. They raised the price $8 at the beginning of the year. No new channels, no change to internet, Canada is one of the highest places in the world for cell service.

At least with apps now and other streaming choices, we are starting to get more choices as an alternative to these greedy Tv providers. 
I believe in the next five years all these TV providers like Bell or Rogers won’t be around or the idea of TV will be much different. If Tv Networks like CBC Gem, Global, CTV are moving to apps and Bell has offered CP24, CTV News and BNN to an app things are slowly changing. Subscribers aren’t going pay Rogers or Bell for something that is ad supported and free. The end is starting for these cable companies

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have a valid point.  It's not just Rogers' to blame, the cost of living is out of control with other goods and services in Canada as well.  Everyone is looking to make their life more enjoyable without breaking the bank

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

I have asked Rogers many times and on this forum why Rogers won’t include the Canadian APPs like - CBC Gem, Global TV, CTV, Yes TV and other apps like the News ones, Plex TV and Distro which are free and ad supported. But they carry free ad supported ones from the U.S. - Xumo Play, Fawesome, Tubi and Filmrise. Where is Rogers loyalty to the U.S. or Canada. In fact we here in Canada can’t get Xumo Play ( Comcast) it is geo restricted. They have the NBC News app, these two are American companies are owned by Comcast, which Ignite is a knockoff of. Do you see some favouritism here. They have the SportsNet + app ( owned by Rogers) where is the TSN+ app. Part of Bell Media, does Rogers not have the 5 TSN channels.

I hope in the next 5years all these TV providers are gone or get their act together and start offer everything that is out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

I...Comcast, which Ignite is a knockoff of.

It's not a knock off. Rogers licenses the technology from Comcast and uses the same boxes, lock stock and firmware.  Anything that Rogers and it's customers want needs to be developed by Comcast and slightly modified (and paid for) by Rogers, including French language, etc.

This is also why some of the other Apps like Apple are also not yet available in Canada, despite being available with Comcast.

Mystery solved. It's not a conspiracy, it's time and money.

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

I just went on App section of Ignite and the Apple TV + app is right between Netflix and Prime Video on my TV??

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

My question wasn’t replied to about The Apple + app which is available on the Rogers app section of Ignite, your response was it is not available in Canada yet.

If I or anybody else including Rogers subscribers can get free apps like CP 24, CTV News Channel, BNN Bloomberg, CBC Gem, CTV, Global TV, Yes Tv, The Knowledge Network, TVO, Plex TV, Distro TV, 100’ s of News Channels which are all ad supported free from the App Store with live content and much more content.

Guess what I going back to Basic or the Starter, and use these free apps that Rogers doesn’t include and get my content that way instead of forking big bucks for a lot of unwanted channels.

Rogers could add Apps -CBC Gem, CTV, Global Tv, City TV, Yes Tv as they are ad supported advertised free- offer a lot more within the app than the regular networks.

Can somebody at Rogers please answer this last question

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:

My question wasn’t replied to about The Apple + app which is available on the Rogers app section of Ignite, your response was it is not available in Canada yet.

Sorry, looks like I may have been going off old information regarding AppleTV  +.  I can see the AppleTV + option you mention and there is a sign in page, but since I don't have it, I didn't sign in.  My previous response was regarding the numerous (Canadian) apps you mentioned in general and why they are not on Rogers IgniteTV. 

I was also clarifying Rogers relationship with Comcast.  My comment regarding AppleTV + was just an aside.   

Can someone confirm that AppleTV + is fully functional now on the STB?

Flavour1
I plan to stick around

Thank you, Apple + is functionally as long as you sign as a subscriber to that service.

Can a Rogers Moderator explain why the Canadian apps ei. CBC Gem, Global Tv, CTV, Yes TV etc. aren’t available with Rogers which are free Ad supported similar to Tubi, Xumo Play, Fawesome and Filmrise which are free and Ad supported on Ignite.

My opinion and thoughts would be that CBC Gem offers 14 Time-shift channels free. The same with Global Tv which offers I believe 7 timeshift, plus Free play. CTV offers Throwback and Movies. Yes TV new app offers Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary feeds free. And where is Plex Tv app and Distro Tv app ad supported like Xumo Play, Filmrise, Fawesome and Tubi Tv.

My issue is Rogers offers some free ad supported apps ( U.S.) but not the Canadian apps which also free and Ad supported. This is frustrating and confusing I would think to a subscriber.

The only conclusion is with some of the Canadian apps you wouldn’t be paying for a timeshift package.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Flavour1 wrote:  My issue is Rogers offers some free ad supported apps ( U.S.) but not the Canadian apps which also free and Ad supported. This is frustrating and confusing I would think to a subscriber.

I thought my previous explanation was pretty clear and not confusing. Rogers licenses the technology and hardware from Comcast, which is a US company

Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation