cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does HD preferred prefer 4K to HD?

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

I am trying to record all Leafs games on IgniteTV.  There is a setting for "HD preferred".  But what about games that are available in 4k?  Will they be recorded in 4K, then HD if 4K is not available?  Will it always record in the past possible resolution unless you say SD preferred?

***Edited Labels***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Does HD preferred prefer 4K to HD?

RogersTony

Hello, @wayner92 

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the community!

All of our 4K sports content is available on a specific channel, either TSN 4K or Sportsnet 4K. If you are recording on any of the other channels then it will be recorded in HD.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like you may have to set recordings on one HD and one 4K channel (I assume the Leafs only air on one 4K channel).  Note that when you set up your recordings, or especially if you modify recordings, you can often specify SD, HD or the specific channel.  You may then have to delete any HD recordings that aired in parallel with the 4K channel.  Let us know if this works or if the HD channel doesn't bother recording if the 4K channel does.

wayner92

Thanks Tony - but what about a Team Recording for all games of a given team?  When I try to record all Leafs or Raptors games.  Will it record in 4K if the game is in 4K rather than recording in HD?

wayner92

Leafs HD games can air on TSN 4K or Sportsnet 4K.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't watch hockey, but I looked at SN4K channels and they air exactly the same programming that's on the equivelent HD channels. You can therefore set all your recordings that air on SN on the 4K channel(s).

Any programming that is originally HD will air on the 4K channel upconverted with slightly better picture quality than you would get on the HD channel since the broadcaster will do a superior job of the upconversion when compared to the upconversion done by the STB.

As for the true 4K programming like Leafs and Jays home games, you'll get a superior picture on the 4K channel.

TSN 4K airs only true 4K programming, however, when you look at the guide you'll find very little there.  You may wish to simply keep track every couple of weeks on what's airing there. You can set your TSN recordings on the TSN HD channel(s) so you don't miss anything.

I do know that when you set a series recording on an HD channel as "HD Preferred", instead of a specific channel, the channel that will be recorded is the lowest channel number "on the dial".  For example, if an event airs on channel 17, 30, 506, the channel that gets recorded will be channel 17, unless you set the recording to a specific channel, which is usually not a good idea in case that channel doesn't air the desired programme while another channel does.  I have no experience with the 4K channel series recordings since I usually do single recordings on 4K channels, so I don't know if the recording will "switch" to another, lower channel...  Test it to find out.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

I tried to set Blue Jays games recordings. Jays games are normally aired on 997 SN4k so when in the guide and at 997 SN 4k I went to set to record them all, it asked me for the team and I selected Jays and it set the records to 22 SN HD instead of the 997 channle I was currently on when in the guide. Needless to say I manually set recordings to 997 SN 4K

wayner92

Thanks, that is consistent with what I am seeing.  And it seems like a bug.  Why not record to the highest resolution available?  They should drop this "record in SD or HD".  It is 2024, not 2004.  The options should be record in 4K or HD.  Rogers has had 4K sports content since at least 2017: https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/watch-81-toronto-blue-jays-home-games-sportsnet-4k/

@Biollw wrote:

I tried to set Blue Jays games recordings. Jays games are normally aired on 997 SN4k so when in the guide and at 997 SN 4k I went to set to record them all, it asked me for the team and I selected Jays and it set the records to 22 SN HD instead of the 997 channle I was currently on when in the guide. Needless to say I manually set recordings to 997 SN 4K

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only reason I can see for not having 4K as an option for series recordings on a 4K channel is if you set it that way and then your team has a game on an HD channel, that game would not be recorded, which may make people more angry.  But that's not much different from what happens on HD channels if one channel is chosen and the programme of interest doesn't air on it.  I'm guessing this is a bug that should be reported with a fix requested.

I know that my various F1 series programmes can air on just about any of the TSN channels (outside of TSN4K), or even another channel like CTV or ABC, etc, so if I specified a particular channel (if I could even do that) I'd miss a lot of recordings.  There are also lots of last minute changes in the F1 schedule, so a programme that was going to air on 520, ends up on 30, or 8.   

This will have to be fixed by Comcast and I'm not sure how interested they are in doing so.  I'm also not sure how they'd handle it in the options - "4K only", or "best available", which may not work for cloud based recordings since not everyone has a 4K TV, of if there's another way to handle it.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation