cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax to Ethernet Adapter

falcios
I'm a senior enthusiast

Someone mentioned online that I cannot use the ethernet port on the set top box to connect my PC. The Rogers technician said it was possible. Just want to confirm what is actually possible?

If not possible, I'm looking for a coax to ethernet adapter? Would this connection work and what are the specifics I should be looking for when ordering online?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Coax to Ethernet Adapter

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That Ethernet port on the STB is to connect the Gateway to the STB via Ethernet - that is all.  I don't believe it'll work the way you mention.

Any PC should be connected via Ethernet from the Gateway to PC and then you can connect the PC to the TV directly via an HDMI cable for example.  Any PC can also use WiFi instead of Ethernet.

falcios
I'm a senior enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

I upgraded to 1.5 and it's still giving me roughly the same speed as the 500 package, when on WIFI. The technician stated that you can only reach very high speed if your PC is hard wired to the gateway. The gateway is on the first floor and we now have to drill a hole in the floor tile/baseboard so that the ethernet cable could reach the PC.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, see my post on the speed topic in the following link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588/highlight/true#M75402

If you've got an un-utilized RF-coax running from the first floor to the area of the PC, you may be able to connect an adaptor to each end to utilize as Ethernet.  This may also work for telephone cabling.  New Ethernet cable may be just as easy...

Edit - I did some quick checking on the web and inexpensive adapters are only good for 100 Mbps...  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@falcios wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I upgraded to 1.5 and it's still giving me roughly the same speed as the 500 package, when on WIFI. The technician stated that you can only reach very high speed if your PC is hard wired to the gateway. The gateway is on the first floor and we now have to drill a hole in the floor tile/baseboard so that the ethernet cable could reach the PC.

Wi-Fi speeds can vary greatly, depending on the Wi-Fi hardware that you have on your computer, your Wi-Fi router/gateway hardware, distance, your home's construction and the extent to which it impedes the Wi-Fi signal, and the amount of Wi-Fi traffic in your area.

With Wi-Fi 5, your maximum PHY rate will be 866 Mb/s, and expect to attain 75% of that; about 650 Mb/s.

With Wi-Fi 6, your maximum attainable rate will be around 900 Mb/s.

With Wi-Fi 6E, your maximum attainable rate will be approximately 1800 Mb/s.

All of the above is under ideal conditions and could be substantially lower than that in real-life conditions.  This is as fast as Wi-Fi can currently go with the technology that is currently available.  Upgrading your Internet plan may allow Rogers to upgrade your Ignite Gateway but your Wi-Fi speeds will be limited by the hardware that you have.

If you want to use the coax cabling in your home for network connectivity, you will need to invest in MoCA hardware and get it installed correctly.  @Datalink has posted about this option many times in the past.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation