cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnecting every night between 2am to 3am EST

Frenchiebong
I've been here awhile

Ever since 2 months or so ago, my internet has been dropping around 2am-3am EST and comes back very shortly. Called rogers and they say that's their regular maintenance hours and is normal. I live in the North York area, anyone experiencing this interruption every night around similar time? 

**Labels Added**

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Internet disconnecting every night between 2am to 3am EST

Joel13
I plan to stick around

Honestly at this point, as much as you may not want to spend the extra money, get a 3rd party router. Since I've swapped ours, we have not had any issues with the updates in the middle of the night or other. 

Joel Gallant
photography.joelgallant.ca
vero.co/joelgallant

Geobetta
I've been here awhile
Happens to me every night as well greater Sudbury area i have ignite

Geobetta
I've been here awhile
I have been unable to set up my own password- i am wondering if i had my own password- would the wifi still go down every night?

Good Day @Geobetta!

We appreciate you bringing this to our much needed attention. 👌 We most definitely understand the importance of ensuring you stay connected.

In the event that the disconnection is occuring between 2AM-3AM, it is likely being caused by regular maintenance, although, this also should not be occuring every night.

Are you referring to your own WiFi password? Maintenence would still occur during the scheduled times.

Cheers,

RogersJo

rsmullin
I've been here awhile

To my knowledge it is every night!!!!  This is causing many issues in our family.  It can’t be maintenance every night and for so many people.  

Greetings @rsmullin!

If you're losing connection every single night around the same time, that may indicate there's an update that is failing to deploy. I apologize for any inconvenience. I'd like to troubleshoot further with you on this.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

V0id
I've been around

Glad to have found this thread.  I had this same issue since the beginning of this year (with Fido) and every time I'd call support between 2-5 AM,  they'd just 'raise' a ticket and run through the typical "everything's normal" spiel.  I lost my sanity trying to convince them for 6 months.  This is no random occurrence when so many people are facing the same issue.  Rogers / Fido, you need to own up and get to the bottom of this.  YOUR equipment, YOUR network.

Im having this exact same issue every single night for past year.
I shouldn't have to buy a third party router because the internet provider that I pay cant provide a stable service.
Whats the other solution?

rsmullin
I've been here awhile

This has nothing to do with passwords and I am sure nothing to do with “regular maintenance”.  I rely on this for my grandchildren throughout the night and this disruption causes distress and upset. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rsmullin wrote:

This has nothing to do with passwords and I am sure nothing to do with “regular maintenance”.  I rely on this for my grandchildren throughout the night and this disruption causes distress and upset. 

How long do you lose connectivity for?  It is a brief, momentary loss of connectivity or does the disruption go on for several minutes or several hours?

Log into your Ignite Gateway with a web browser on your computer.  Go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network"

What is the "System Uptime"?  Is it only a few hours, indicating that the modem/gateway rebooted overnight, or has it been up for several days?

Also, check to see if any of the WAN (IPv4/IPv6 Gateway or IP) addresses or the Delegated Prefix changes from day to day.  If it does, that will confirm that the network team is making changes to the network overnight.

It's also possible that your Ignite Gateway is stuck on an old version of software and cannot update for whatever reason.  Go to "Gateway > Software".  What is the "Software Image Name"?  Try rebooting your gateway by power-cycling it.  Pull the power plug, wait a few seconds, then plug it in again.  Wait for the status LED to turn solid white, then power-cycle the gateway again.  That should trigger a software update if one is available.

It's also quite possible that the network team is making other upstream changes that could disrupt network connectivity, and that would affect a wide range of customers.  We don't have any uptime guarantees with our Rogers residential Internet service.  If Rogers is aware of this, they should at least confirm this to you.  If they are not, then they need to do some troubleshooting on their side.

I can see signs that Rogers is doing work on my node from time to time.  My Ignite Gateway has not rebooted.  Occasionally, this has caused a momentary loss of network connectivity but nothing too disruptive.  However, I also run on my own network gear, with my Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode.  While this provides me with extra stability, in some cases, infrequently, it can also leave me with broken network connectivity in the morning... requiring me to troubleshoot the problem and perform a reset of my own equipment.

Cnoel81
I've been here awhile

Ys, this has been happening to me for about month now. Everynight around 3am my internet stops working for a while. My TV will say "unable to connect to internet". It's so annoying because night time is when I watch TV. Then I have to turn yhe TV off, turn my mobile data on my phone and watch from my phone which eats up my mobile data and just sucks watching a phone screen rather than the tv. It's really inconvenient. I'm in Ottawa. I haven't called Rogers about it as if yet. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cnoel81 : Not sure if this will help, but for the TV go into Rogers - Settings - General - Daily Update Time and change that time to some time which works for you.

If however, there is actually maintenance work in your area which is taking the entire signal down, the above will not help. You can PM the mods at @CommunityHelps and they can look into your particular location for you.

Jay-Dee
I've been around
Ours cuts out too between 2 and 3am (north of GTA near King City). It just went down at about 2:00 am and usually 10-30mins later comes back. It just came back (approximately down for 15-20mins).

Vref30
I've been here awhile

I am in a condo at Downtown Markham.
My internet cuts out around 2-3am EST every night too.

Any updates on this issue?

It is quite annoying that it's happening every night.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Vref30
I've been here awhile
Thank you for your suggestion.

I do not have a TV, so I am unable to follow your suggestion.

I have looked through the Admin portal for my Ignite Wi-Fi Gateway but could not find any setting to turn off auto updates.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!! 😊

rsmullin
I've been here awhile

No updates from any rogers personnel.  However, I haven’t had an issue for a bit now.  Perhaps it’s been fixed in my area. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PM the mods on this forum?

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

When logged into the forum, check the envelope icon at the top right of the screen for messages.  You would usually also receive an e-mail that you have a PM, but it may have ended up in your spam folder...

They might know if there's work in your area.

RootsFinder
I've been here awhile

Yes, I get tis often, too, at least two or more nights per week at the same time.  It usually happens between 3:15 and 3:20 for me. A couple of them have been at 2:40.   Sometime last longer than others.  They are about 20 minutes or so, I think. Tonight the outage was over an hour and included TV and phone services.  However, now that I am back online, I see nothing on the site about service being down on the Rogers site.   I find this annoying an inconvenient as I am usually in the middle of something every time it goes down.  I live at least two hours away from your North York area so it is not localized to your area.

RootsFinder
I've been here awhile

I did not mention that in my post but the impact on my smart home devices is a big issue here, too.

RootsFinder
I've been here awhile

I do not play games online.  I am usually in a conference or connecting with other since most of my contacts are overseas. I would like to be a volunteer presenter at one, but this is not possible when my internet crashes during conference hours.  

Topic Stats