cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is or can TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender (RE450) - be made compatible with Rogers XB7-CM

buddymcl
I plan to stick around

Last week I abandoned my owned CGN3 modem and got the Rogers XB7-CM on a new plan.  It works well but regretfully appears not to be compatible with my TP-Link AC1750 extender purchased new Apr 18 / 2023.

The new modem works well for most of my house but keeps dropping out on my balcony.  We bought the extender to solve this problem and it did work well.

Can any of you knowledgeable gentlemen recommend a solution for this problem?  I am a technical novice and do not know how to solve it. 

And thank you again for the help last week - this is relatively minor compared to last weeks problem.

TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender (RE450) - Up to 1750Mbps, Dual Band WiFi Repeater, Internet Booster, Extend WiFi Range further

***Added labels & Removed IP addresses for privacy***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is or can TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender (RE450) - be made compatible with Rogers XB7-CM

@buddymcl here's the link to the extender support page:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/re450/

Here's the link to the U.S. version of the user guide:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202008/20200813/1910012825_RE450&RE550_UG_REV4.0.0.pdf

Have a look at pages 7 to 14.  The easiest way to set up the extender is to use the WPS method (section 2.2.3).  The next choice would be logging into the extender with a wifi connected pc or laptop (section 2.2.2).

To use the WPS method, park the extender close to the modem on a nearby wall socket.  When its finished starting up, depress the WPS button at the back of the modem momentarily.  This button has two functions, according to an xfinity post:  

1)- a quick push/release triggers the WPS function

2)-a push and hold (about 30 seconds) triggers the "reset" function

After a quick depression of the modem's WPS button, depress the WPS button on the extender for 1 second.  That has to happen within two minutes of depressing the modem's WPS button.  

When the extender is linked, there should be an LED that lights up, indicating that the two devices are linked.  See page 14 for further details on this.  After the two devices are linked, you should be able to move the extender to the desired location. 

The only question I would have at this point is whether or not the extender is linked to the modem via both wifi bands, or only a single wifi band, perhaps the 2.4 Ghz band.  You will only be able to determine that when you move the extender to another location, or, perhaps by logging into the extender to see what bands are used to link to the modem. 

If the extender doesn't want to link to the 5 Ghz band, I'd suspect one of two issues:

1.  The modem has band steering running, which is a default configuration that causes never ending issues with devices.  You might have to disable band steering, separate the two modem networks by renaming one of them, connecting the extender and then reenabling band steering: or

2.  The modem has 802.11  a/n/ac/ax running as its default 5 Ghz protocol.  The extender only runs 802.11 a/n/ac.  Its possible that the extender isn't compatible with the ax declaration by the modem and doesn't know what to do with it.  I would find that hard to believe these days, but, anything is possible.  If that is the case, you would have to set the modem to run 802.11 a/n/ac, and I don't know if the modem will allow that, as a good number of user controls are locked out by Comcast and Rogers.  

In any event, try the WPS method first, then if you have a wifi laptop or pc, try to log into the extender so that you can set the network passwords manually.  With a manual entry, you might find out right away if the extender will work with a modem or router that is using band steering.  If the extender rejected the entry of the same network passphrase for both networks, that would tell be that it doesn't work with band steering.  Your option at that point would be to keep the modem networks separate, or return the extender and try to find a different extender which would work with band steering.  Fwiw, there is nothing wrong with running separate wifi networks.  I could do that with my router but, I know what works in my home so I run separate networks as a matter of choice. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is or can TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender (RE450) - be made compatible with Rogers XB7-CM

RogersCorey

Greetings @buddymcl!

I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems getting your extender connected after upgrading your modem. 

While we don't offer direct support for third party devices, I may be able to point you in the right direction. 

I would recommend resetting this kind of device before attempting to connect it to a new modem. Once reset, please try setting it up with the WPS button located on the back of your XB7.

If you've tried all the setup methods in the included documentation and none of them work, my final recommendation would be to reach out to TP-Link directly for more support with their extender. You can find all their contact methods here: Contact Us | TP-Link Canada

As another solution, we also offer officially supported WiFi Pods to extend the range of your network. If you're interested in getting WiFi Pods from us, please feel free to PM us and we'll help get you setup. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

buddymcl
I plan to stick around

Thank You RogersCorey - I will try your suggestion - Bruce

@buddymcl here's the link to the extender support page:

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/re450/

Here's the link to the U.S. version of the user guide:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202008/20200813/1910012825_RE450&RE550_UG_REV4.0.0.pdf

Have a look at pages 7 to 14.  The easiest way to set up the extender is to use the WPS method (section 2.2.3).  The next choice would be logging into the extender with a wifi connected pc or laptop (section 2.2.2).

To use the WPS method, park the extender close to the modem on a nearby wall socket.  When its finished starting up, depress the WPS button at the back of the modem momentarily.  This button has two functions, according to an xfinity post:  

1)- a quick push/release triggers the WPS function

2)-a push and hold (about 30 seconds) triggers the "reset" function

After a quick depression of the modem's WPS button, depress the WPS button on the extender for 1 second.  That has to happen within two minutes of depressing the modem's WPS button.  

When the extender is linked, there should be an LED that lights up, indicating that the two devices are linked.  See page 14 for further details on this.  After the two devices are linked, you should be able to move the extender to the desired location. 

The only question I would have at this point is whether or not the extender is linked to the modem via both wifi bands, or only a single wifi band, perhaps the 2.4 Ghz band.  You will only be able to determine that when you move the extender to another location, or, perhaps by logging into the extender to see what bands are used to link to the modem. 

If the extender doesn't want to link to the 5 Ghz band, I'd suspect one of two issues:

1.  The modem has band steering running, which is a default configuration that causes never ending issues with devices.  You might have to disable band steering, separate the two modem networks by renaming one of them, connecting the extender and then reenabling band steering: or

2.  The modem has 802.11  a/n/ac/ax running as its default 5 Ghz protocol.  The extender only runs 802.11 a/n/ac.  Its possible that the extender isn't compatible with the ax declaration by the modem and doesn't know what to do with it.  I would find that hard to believe these days, but, anything is possible.  If that is the case, you would have to set the modem to run 802.11 a/n/ac, and I don't know if the modem will allow that, as a good number of user controls are locked out by Comcast and Rogers.  

In any event, try the WPS method first, then if you have a wifi laptop or pc, try to log into the extender so that you can set the network passwords manually.  With a manual entry, you might find out right away if the extender will work with a modem or router that is using band steering.  If the extender rejected the entry of the same network passphrase for both networks, that would tell be that it doesn't work with band steering.  Your option at that point would be to keep the modem networks separate, or return the extender and try to find a different extender which would work with band steering.  Fwiw, there is nothing wrong with running separate wifi networks.  I could do that with my router but, I know what works in my home so I run separate networks as a matter of choice. 

buddymcl
I plan to stick around

Thank You very much Datalink - this should be a big help!

buddymcl
I plan to stick around

And a REALLY BIG THANK YOU once again.  I had given up until I saw this post from Datalink and followed the instructions. It is now working great!  Honorable mention to RogersCorey as well.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 3 in conversation