cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New upgrade (XB7) channel issues

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

We Just made the switch from XB6 to XB7 and 500 Mbps connection.

'm running into a peculiar problem with Wi-Fi channels  despite the fact the router was reset to "Auto" select channels.  I don't have any pods or Wi-Fi extenders. 

Here's what's going on:  my XB7 seems stuck on Wi-Fi channels 1 (2.4 GHz) and 42 (5 GHz), and no amount of rebooting or resetting is changing that.

I've performed extensive troubleshooting.  I tested the channels with specialized software to find the "best" of the "worst." . I decided to keep the 2.4 Ghz band on auto and the most used 5 Ghz on my custom channel (as set by Rogers/Shaw) in the interim. 

Some background:

I'm in a densely populated area with condos and hi-rises, which means interference is the name of the game. With the XB6, I could manually choose Wi-Fi channels to navigate this mess. However, about three years ago, Rogers/Shaw, Comcast/Xfinity, and others decided to lock down certain features, including manual channel selection through the desktop portal (http://10.0.0.1/).  As a result, I had to manually configure through support the channels which worked "best". 

While most users just want their internet to work and they are oblivious to  any performance issues, but for those of us dealing with interference, it's a major  headache – slow speeds, dropped connections, the whole package.

In theory, auto--channel mode within the router insists on scanning all the channels to find the "best" channel. In practice, at best, it only scans the the most "popular" channels like 1, 6, and 11 for 2.4 Ghz, which isn't always optimal in crowded areas like mine. They ignore all the other channels in between. 

I have tested the Wi-Fi channels on an old D-Link router (which I can't use because it won't go beyond 100 Mbps despite having 5 Ghz bands. Even the RJ45 (ethernet) ports are 100 Mbps max. Anyway, the D-Link will rotate (the most popular channels) unlike the XB7 which is stuck on one channel only for both bands. The XB6 did not have this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this with their XB7,  Perhaps the XB7 I have is defective? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New upgrade (XB7) channel issues

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm you're probably running into the theory that Comcast and Rogers knows better than you when it comes to selecting an appropriate wifi channel for your specific location.  End result, Rogers back end system selects the wifi channels for you (assuming that you and every other customer doesn't know what they're doing), leaving you with no control over the channel selection.  Best way to deal with this is to kick the modem into Bridge mode and run your own router, but, you would have to buy a current modem as your D-Link router is most likely woefully out of date in terms of its firmware and protection that it provides from the internet and wifi probing.  

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

@Datalink Let me clarify the essence of my previous post since it appears you didn't read between the lines.

Rather than contemplating the purchase of a new (good) router at over $200, my primary concern revolves around the fact that I'm already paying a significant amount for the modem rental each month, and the crux of the issue lies with the XB7 itself. The D-Link router in use is solely for testing purposes.

To cut to the chase - is the firmware problem a widespread issue affecting all XB7 models with the Technicolor chipset, or am I dealing with a unique glitch? This is the critical question that needs answers.

I'll be straight up; I'm not inclined to invest more money in this situation. I'm considering exploring alternatives, potentially switching to an ISP that doesn't restrict their modem firmware. Before making such a decision, I'm reaching out to the community to ascertain if others are facing similar XB7 problems.

My interactions with Rogers on this matter have been less than satisfactory, and I'm actively pushing to escalate this to their Tier 2 engineers and beyond. If anyone else has experienced comparable issues or has valuable insights related to modem firmware, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm, I do hear what you're saying.  You're more than a little peeved at the modem's automatic channel selection and certainly not willing to spend any money buying a new router to get around the problems.  I don't believe that you're looking at a modem glitch of some type.  I'd chalk it up to the settings that Rogers back end systems impose on the modems.  If you run a factory reset, and end up with the same channel settings, I'd definitely blame Rogers back end systems. 

Now, fwiw, the fact that you're running channel 42 says to me that your neighbourhood is probably locked down to the lower 5 Ghz channels.  That lower channel range runs 200 milli-watts max radiated power.  The higher channels (149 to 161) are allowed to run 1 watt max radiated power.  So, that higher power level makes a considerable positive difference in your wifi receive data rates.  Limiting the modem to the lower channels will result in a reduced operating range from the modem, compared to the high channels and beyond a limited range from the modem, will also result in reduced wifi data rates.   That would drive customers to complain about the limited range from the modem and in theory drive demand for pods, which Rogers is more than happy to provide at some cost, don't know that that cost is.  

Are you using the Rogers pods by any chance?  If so, then yes, you're locked down to the lower 5 Ghz channel.  If you aren't using any pods, then I'd blame Rogers choice of wifi channels for your neighbourhood.  

Do you happen to have a wifi analyzer on a laptop or desktop, where you can look for other XBx modems in your neighbourhood?  If so, I'd hazard a guess that you would see other Rogers modems restricted to using the lower channels.  If you have a wifi analyzer available, a quick check would confirm my thoughts.  

As far as elevating this to a Tier II tech, I suspect that Tier II techs would not be able to tell you why the modem is locked down to channel 42 for the 5 Ghz network.  You would need to ask the engineers, and its possible that this is a Comcast function that they have no knowledge of, or control over. 

In addition to the pods question, do you have a typical copper cable (RG6) installation or Rogers Fibre to the Home.  With FTTH, you can bypass the modem and install your own router, and yes, I understand that you don't want to go that route.  Just pointing out the possibility for FTTH customers.  

Fwiw, in my neighbourhood, I can see that the XBx modems are mainly locked down to the lower channels in the 5 Ghz range.  As I choose to use a router, with the modem in Bridge mode, I'm quite satisfied with that arrangement as it leaves the upper channels mostly clear.  There is the occasional Rogers interloper in that range, specifically on Channel 157.  Why would anyone choose to run on channel 157 instead of using channels 149 or 161 is beyond me.  Why would you purposely park the control channel in the middle of that range and muck it up for everyone within RF range? Ugh....  Yet another mystery of what channels Rogers chooses to use. 

So, sorry to say, there is no good answer here. 

Perhaps @-G- can add some words of wisdom here.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation