cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet When I Connect the New Router to XB7

Sneruh
I've been here awhile

I bought a new router, Netgear Nighthawk AX6600.  When I connect it to my XB7, there does not seem to be an ethernet connection.  Cables are good.  Tried in gateway mode as well as bridging,  My old router, DLINK DIR 880L, didn't have an issue.  If I reconnect the DLINK to the XB7 and then connect the Netgear to the DLINK, the Netgear sees the ethernet (i.e., internet connectio).  This rules out a connection problem within the Nighthawk.

Any suggestions?  Does the XB7 only accept one MAC for a third party router?  Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No Internet When I Connect the New Router to XB7

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sneruh does the modem operate as expected in its default Gateway mode?  

When you connect a router to the modem and kick the modem into Bridge mode, you have to reboot the router at the same time so that the Cable Modem Termination System can assign / negotiate an IPV4 address to the router.  After that, the router should operate as expected.  At this point the modem will be invisible to any trace. 

Note, if you have Ignite TV, you will need to enable IPV6 in the router and then reboot the router so that the CMTS can assign the IPV6 prefix to the router.

Note that the AX6600 appears to have gigabit ports only, with link aggregation for the WAN port and LAN port #1.  Rogers does not support link aggregation.  If the plan was to use link aggregation to run Rogers 1.5 Gb/s internet, that plan won't work.  The modem supports 1.5 and 2.5 Gb/s data rates thru port #4, which is the lower right hand port, denoted by red/orange stripes beside the port.  That port is a multi-gig port.  To run those data rates out of port 4, enroute to a router and beyond, you would need a router with multi-gig WAN and LAN ports and possibly a multi-gig ethernet switch to run 1.5 / 2.5 Gb/s data rates out to more than one ethernet device. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sneruh does the modem operate as expected in its default Gateway mode?  

When you connect a router to the modem and kick the modem into Bridge mode, you have to reboot the router at the same time so that the Cable Modem Termination System can assign / negotiate an IPV4 address to the router.  After that, the router should operate as expected.  At this point the modem will be invisible to any trace. 

Note, if you have Ignite TV, you will need to enable IPV6 in the router and then reboot the router so that the CMTS can assign the IPV6 prefix to the router.

Note that the AX6600 appears to have gigabit ports only, with link aggregation for the WAN port and LAN port #1.  Rogers does not support link aggregation.  If the plan was to use link aggregation to run Rogers 1.5 Gb/s internet, that plan won't work.  The modem supports 1.5 and 2.5 Gb/s data rates thru port #4, which is the lower right hand port, denoted by red/orange stripes beside the port.  That port is a multi-gig port.  To run those data rates out of port 4, enroute to a router and beyond, you would need a router with multi-gig WAN and LAN ports and possibly a multi-gig ethernet switch to run 1.5 / 2.5 Gb/s data rates out to more than one ethernet device. 

Sneruh
I've been here awhile

Many thanks Datalink for the solution.  Not sure if it helped, by I did connect my WAN to port 4.  Read somewhere that it might help.  An I am not planning to use link aggregation, so not an issue for me.

@Sneruh if you run a trace to anywhere, you should see the router as Hop #1, the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) as Hop #2, and then the rest of the trace to the target.  You should not see the modem as Hop #2.  If you do, that indicates that the modem is still running in its default Gateway mode.  

Use:  tracert -4 www.google.com

That will run an IPV4 trace to google.  The modem would show up in Hop #2 with an address of 10.0.0.1 if it was still running in Gateway mode.  In that case you're running a double NAT configuration, which does work, but its not a good configuration for gaming.

If you need to set up IPV6 for the set top boxes, here's a link to a post with IPV6 router settings.  This post is a little old now, and I don't know if there are any user interface changes to the settings for your router.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238/highlight/true#M1...

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation