cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Rogers email account in Outlook

E-SK
I plan to stick around

Hi - When will it be possible to add Rogers' email account to Outlook? If I can add a Yahoo email account, why is it impossible to add Rogers?

*Your insight is appreciated.

**Labels Added**

99 REPLIES 99

Re: Using Rogers email account in Outlook

LTNG
I've been here awhile

I've called several times over the last several months.  I have been given every conceivable answer from it is never getting fixed, to they are working on it.  I have been told it is a contractual issue with Outlook.  I've been with Rogers for over 30 years and used Outlook as my mail server. It is so far superior to the yahoo interface I'm beside myself.  They don't seem to care about keeping customers happy.  I almost left over it, and may still.

LTNG
I've been here awhile

I totally agree.  It's been a year.  They don't care.  However, they cut my internet charge in half, which is the only reason I stayed.  I'm getting tired of it though, the webmail is SO BAD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LTNG wrote:

...I've been with Rogers for over 30 years and used Outlook as my mail server. It is so far superior to the yahoo interface I'm beside myself.  

Outlook 365 works without an App PW.  Some people have reported that the latest version of the purchased App Outlook also now works without an App PW (although that probably needs a bit more confirmation).  See recent posts in the following thread (and this thread a few posts up):

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/521547/highlight/true#M...

Alfredo07
I've been here awhile

Welcome to the Club. I have been trying for months and nothing.

josk
I plan to stick around

I don't think it will ever happen - am planning on moving to outlook, as opposed to being dependent on Rogers (the bad part is that I have been using Rogers for almost 20 yrs - and thus moving to another interface is not my ideal!  Good luck!

danno100
I plan to stick around

I got another ticket# and it's been escalated. I want an answer from someone other than a service rep.

I also think it's time to move to Outlook also..sad you pay for internet and they can't issue you a password..ben almost 1 year...unacceptable. Funny no one from Rogers is willing to step forward and deal with this. 

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around

If you've lost your APP password, it is impossible to generate a new one... my guess is because Rogers just doesn't want to bother with this.  They've already disabled creating new @rogers emails as of April 4... so it looks like their answer will be something on the lines of "sucks to be you".

I can verify that you CAN check emails on the "new outlook" without an APP password - but that has no compatibility with PST files... The newest versions of both Outlook 2024 and Outlook 365 will NOT work. 

Rogers: shame on you!!

@Squidsurprise wrote: The newest versions of both Outlook 2024 and Outlook 365 will NOT work. 

Not sure why you would say that because several of us have Outlook 365 working without an app PW (In my case Outlook is part of MS365 subscription).  See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/517930/highlight/true#M...

Here's my summary on the topic of the App PW, where I have summarized what does and does not work

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346/highlight/true#M...

I was unaware of a product called Outlook 2024.

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around
Well, ive gone through those forums multiple times - anyone who has gotten it to work WITHOUT the app password is using the “new” mode. This mode is NOT compatible with PST files.
Outlook 2024 is the newest version of the non -subscription version of office. Technically it’s in preview mode - as is the “new Outlook” that actually works with Rogers email.

You have to understand that the “new outlook” and Office 2024/365 are NOT the same.

Rogers does not (and most likely never will) support Outlook 2024/2021/2019/365 ever… Shame on them!

@Squidsurprise wrote:
Well, ive gone through those forums multiple times - anyone who has gotten it to work WITHOUT the app password is using the “new” mode. 

Correct.  It doesn't work in "legacy" mode as mentioned in my first link above.

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around
Legacy mode is deceptively named - when you click “new” you are launching a completely different application. MS has simply kept the name Outlook! Don’t be fooled here!

Yep, as discussed in one of these threads there are currently many Outlook variations, which can be very confusing.  Apps, Subscriptions, Free web-based with ads, "new"/"legacy" Mac & PC versions of each, etc.

What works?  Free Web-based with ads, MS365 Outlook subscription "new" as well as the latest Thunderbird for PC.

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around
The new version of Outlook is basically just webmail - it uses OST files to synchronize email on the local desktop but offers no way of backing up your old emails via PST. Which is a must for me - and many businesses who spent money on Office 365 (or 2024, etc).

What is shameful here is that “legacy” Outlook supports Yahoo email - which is what Rogers is… so the reason this doesn’t work is simply because Rogers doesn’t want it to. Which, again, is shameful.

You can toggle between legacy and new.  See also the following link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1312458/where-are-my-new-outlook-outlook-data-fi...

(I am no expert at this, but I do remember .pst files since I stored them as backups many (20-30) years ago on my work PC via CDs, before I began backing up my entire computer).  I run a Mac Mini M2 E10 at home which has time machine backups for all my files. Since I've been retired 18 years, I haven't had anything to do with PCs for quite a while.

Avid-
I plan to stick around

I agree that the multiple versions of Outlook make solving issues difficult and confusing.

I am a MS365 subscriber and am using Outlook from that subscription: 

(Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2403 Build 16.0.17425.20124) 64-bit)

It is NOT the web-based version since it is running locally on multiple PCs in my home and allows back-up of your server-based enail messages to local and cloud *.PST files.

The "new" MS365 Outlook, the included version that MS is urging us to try out is, in fact, web based.  This version may be toggled on and off at the present time and is NOT compatible with *.PST files.

I am also running MS365 on my Android (Samsung S20) mobile phone.  Outlook on my phone will not allow me to set up my *@rogers.com email accounts.  I am using the Yahoo email app but the advertisements are very annoying.  Has anyone been successful in setting up Rogers email accounts on Outlook 365 for Android?  If so, please let me know how.

Alfredo07
I've been here awhile
Totally agree!!!!

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around
I don’t want to toggle between them - that defeats the purpose of having Outlook in the first place!

I want ONE place where I can check ALL of my email accounts and be able to see old emails while offline. This USED to be Outlook until Rogers burned their app password generator and refused to fix it.

Since the new outlook is web based and doesn’t work with PST backup, there is no way for me to save old emails to view offline.

If I wanted to check my emails with a web interface, I’d use the Rogers site!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@Squidsurprise wrote:  1. Since the new outlook is web based and doesn’t work with PST backup, there is no way for me to save old emails to view offline.

As explained by @Avid- a couple of posts up, and what I have tried to say also, is that not all "new" Outlooks are web-based.

I am running: Microsoft® Outlook for Mac, Version 16.83.3, License: Microsoft 365 Subscription.

It will operate (offline) without an Internet connection.  I can see all the IMAP'ed Folders (mirroring Webmail) without Ethernet or WiFi, as well as the "On my computer" files which are the ones previous to switching to "new".

For example, when I don't have Ethernet or WiFi, I can open Outlook, create a new e-mail and hit "send". The e-mail will go into the "Outbox" and stay there until I connect Ethernet or WiFi and click "Sync".  This indicates to me that my Outlook e-mails are not only on the Web.  Although the layout is different, my Outlook functions the same way as the "old" Outlook did.  Macs do perform differently from PCs and the files are stored differently as well.

Squidsurprise
I plan to stick around
That is still web-based… just works offline via cache… not what I want. I need to be able to use PST files as I have multiple email accounts - and that is Outlook’s proprietary format.

I (and plenty like me) have paid a substantial amount of money for MS Office… not to mention a substantial amount of money to Rogers… it shouldn’t be too much to ask that my email account work with “old” Outlook… especially since it used to… and especially since Yahoo does and Rogers email IS Yahoo email.

@Squidsurprise wrote:
1. That is still web-based… just works offline via cache… not what I want. I need to be able to use PST files as I have multiple email accounts - and that is Outlook’s proprietary format.

2. I don’t want to toggle between them - that defeats the purpose of having Outlook in the first place!

I want ONE place where I can check ALL of my email accounts and be able to see old emails while offline. This USED to be Outlook until Rogers burned their app password generator and refused to fix it.

1. I do not believe it is simply a cache, because I can see hundred of e-mails when Offline.  I have multiple e-mail accounts also, which I can also see offline.  I don't believe we're talking about the same Outlook version.  Are you paying $79/year plus taxes?  If not, then there's your answer.

2. When I talk about toggling, it's a simple click on Outlook which switches me between Legacy and New Outlook versions.  All of my e-mails and e-mail accounts are still in the same Outlook, although the layout looks different.

Again, I believe we're talking at cross purposes.

Avid-
I plan to stick around

As has been pointed out multiple times above, if you subscribe to MS365, which includes the new Outlook, it is installed on your local PC along with the Office suite of apps.  When running this version of PC based Outlook, you get the same old (good) look and feel of previous "stand-alone" versions.  You save your emails the same old way, back-up to PST files of your choosing wherever you decide to store them.  If stored on your local drive, you may access them even when not connected to the internet.  As with all email programs, an internet connection to the web is still needed, at least from time-to-time to be able to send and receive email messages.

The local-to-web based toggle is strictly your choice.  You do not need to engae the web based version at all.  I hope this is clear enough.

Topic Stats