cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the static IPV6 address?

icedroit
I plan to stick around

I have a static IP for a Rogers business internet connection, I know the static ipv4 address, but does that also mean I get a static ipv6 address? if so, how do I find out the static ipv6 address?

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What is the static IPV6 address?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@icedroit if I remember correctly, with a Business Internet plan, you can't log into the modem.  Is that correct?  If so, and if you're looking for the IPV6 prefix for the modem, tech support should be able to tell you that.  I suspect that with the modem in Gateway mode, tech support should be able to tell you the ip addresses of all of the devices connected to the modem. 

For a pc / laptop, with IPV6 running, going to IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com) will show the IPV6 address for the device.  For something like the VOIP phone, you would be reliant on the phone itself, or you would have to get tech support to give you the address.  

icedroit
I plan to stick around

I have a rogers modem in bridge mode that is providing static IP to a commercial-grade Fortigate firewall that is fully capable of IPV6 and I am wondering how to find my ipv6 static IP or does rogers only allow me to have the ipv4 static IP? I was assuming that since my business internet plan includes static IP it would be both ipv4 and ipv6

I'm assuming that the Fortigate user interface will show the IPV6 address if IPV6 is enabled in the firewall.  If you haven't done so already, enable IPV6 and set it to run a /64 or /56.  Reboot the firewall so that it negotiates the IPV6 address with the CMTS.  After the reboot the IPV6 address should be available in the firewalls UI.

@JKnott may be able to provide you with some assistance regarding IPV6 ops.  

And, when in doubt, contact the business support staff:

Rogers for Business - Contact Us | Rogers

There is an archived post in the forum somewhere that contains IPV6 settings for routers.  All of the forum message links changed with the latest forum change so all of my links are useless.  Who's idea was that!!!  In any event, I'm trying to find that particular post by @RogersDave.

Edit:  Here's the archived post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238/highlight/true#M1...

Have a look at that post and use it as a guide for the fortigate IPV6 settings.  When the settings are complete, reboot the firewall so that it can negotiate the IPV6 address with the CMTS.  Most likely its preassigned as you're on a business plan, so I would assume that its a static address.  

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation