cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital cable box not supported?

Kmmotyl
I've been here awhile

Our tv keeps giving us a random message that channels are not available and to try again later. I called Rogers and the tech told me that the box is faulty and they will not replace it, I have to switch to Ignite. I have had three technicians (Rogers) tell me that the internet is not stable enough to run Ignite. So what do I do? I was pretty shocked at how briskly this all was relayed and it seems illogical to me. Anyone have any solutions? Thank you!

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Digital cable box not supported?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kmmotyl wrote:

1. Our tv keeps giving us a random message that channels are not available and to try again later.

2. I have had three technicians (Rogers) tell me that the internet is not stable enough to run Ignite.

1. This almost always indicates that you have a poor signal in your area or at your home.  Usually this is caused by the return signal from your box not getting back to the node or head end.  If you can, temporarily move your box as close to the demarcation point in your home as possible and remove any upstream splitters or connectors as a test.  Rogers can check the signal from their end, but it sounds like the technicans have already determined that.   You can also test your signal strength using the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/57-faq-tips-for-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.17719/#post-134376

2. Yes, you need to get this sorted before switching to Ignite.

3. Legacy Digital Cable is rumoured to end at the end of 2023, so Rogers is basically doing no troubleshooting on the legacy service, although if they want you as an Ignite customer, they need to sort out the signal issues you are having.  I suggest you PM the mods on this forum to get this sorted. I have found them most helpful. See the information below regarding PM.

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps  .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

When logged into the forum, check the envelope icon at the top right of the screen for messages.  You would usually also receive an e-mail, but it may have ended up in your spam folder...

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

Similar problem here last night up in the Stouffville area.

Watching CTV  (Ch 9) news around 23:30 and my screen goes blank.

channel down to City (Ch 7) and it is working, one more down to CBC (Ch 6) and it's not working.

Pretty much the reverse of what has happened four to five times where all of the 400 MHz channels disappear and say not available. This time it was all of the under 400 MHz channels.

Here is the kicker, I checked the diagnostic screen on my 9865PVR  and channels 6 and 8 both had lots of signal strength but poor signal to noise. The screen was blank but the diagnostic pages worked.

Same thing on one of my NextBoxes.

As RE57 said, good luck with tech support.

I went through two level 1's and a level 2 tech who told me that they don't have the diagnostic tools anymore to support the legacy cable. (fourth call into tech support in 6 weeks for the some channels only problem)

Unfortunately in wanting to see Colbert's return to TV last night at 23:20 I followed the first tech's advice to reboot the set top. It promptly came back at -01- and hung there, hence the second and third calls.

This morning the 9865 had returned to normal.

I know that eventually I have to give up my onscreen call display and go with Ignite but after reading so many problems with home phone and email being transferred in posts here this morning, I'm leaning more to a new provider.

Although I am locked in with Rogers cable for the backbone as Bell doesn't offer Fibe in  my area.

They say they can offer me satellite TV (seriously, in this day and age).

There are cable based alternatives out there and you don't have rent the terminals, you can buy your own.

Kmmotyl
I've been here awhile
Thank you to both of you. I guess I have to call Bell. Much appreciated!
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation