cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One button on new remote not working

Debo
I've been here awhile

I have a digital PVR with Rogers, and about every year I wear out some of the remote buttons from frequent use (FF and rewind). I ask Rogers for a new remote and mail back the faulty one. But this year it was the number 3,4, and 6 buttons that stopped working, so I asked for a new remote. But the same 3 buttons on the new remote aren't working either, especially the number 3. These are not buttons I press frequently, so I'm wondering if it's not the remotes that are faulty but something with my TV or the PVR?  

***Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: One button on new remote not working

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Debo : 1. If the remote is programmed properly, the numbers don't change the channels on the TV, but rather on the PVR, so I doubt it's a TV issue, although it might be something with the PVR.  Have you rebooted the PVR by unplugging it for a while?

2. It's possible (although unlikely)  that the replacement remote has the same issues as your previous remote. These are not new, but typically refurbished remotes.

3. If you have another box in the home, try the replacement remote on that box and try swapping the remotes between the two?

4. Try repeatedly pressing the problem buttons to see if there is a bad contact.  These can oxidize.

5. Assuming you have programmed the Rogers remote to control the TV on/off/volume, press the TV button at the top of the remote so that it will "control" the TV.  Using the TV's remote change the TV input to "cable, or antenna, or OTA" or whatever is appropriate to change channels on the TV.  Then see if the Rogers remote changes the channels on the TV to channel 3, etc. Obviously nothing will come in unless you're connected to an antenna, however, in this way you will know if the remote is the issue or the PVR.  After this experiment you'll have to press the CBL button to control the cable box (PVR) again.  I'm assuming you have a remote like the 1056 or 1055, etc.

Re: One button on new remote not working

Debo
I've been here awhile

Thanks 57. I did try rebooting the PVR, but no good. I did get a third remote from Rogers, which seems to be working fine, so it seems the other 2 remotes were the problem, not the PVR

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation