cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV 200 hours of recordings

tbcuthbert
I plan to stick around

How do we manage the 200 hours? Is there a running tally of the recordings?

Do shows that we save that go over 1 year just disappear?

we currently have 3TBs of storage on our Shaw TV Gateway ...

is there any way to buy more hours?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ignite TV 200 hours of recordings

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You're going to have to consult with other customers, moderators and Resident Experts for this one.  As far as I know, you're limited to 200 hrs of recorded shows.  I haven't seen any indication of being able to buy more storage space.  That's a definite drawback to the newer systems, Rogers, Bell and every other ISP as they switch from local storage on a pvr to cloud storage.  On the plus side, all of that recorded material is available on other tv set top boxes.  So, there is an increase in flexibility, in terms of using any of your set top boxes around the home.  Don't know if this would necessarily apply in your case. 

I'll call on @57 and @-G- to comment on your questions. 

tbcuthbert
I plan to stick around

Ok thanks.

Our current Shaw Arris TV gateway box has 3 terminals for our 3 TVs. The gateway has internal 500GBs storage and we have 2TB external as well. this gives us  600-800 hours of storage (HD & SD) which we use typically about 40-70% unless special events like Olympics, Tennis tournaments, etc. when it goes higher. we have had this extra storage for about 20 years with various Shaw PVRs & extenders. My wife & I also had a collection of movies that we watched each year. it was great to just have them rather than trying to find them each year in the various online libraries (a pain to, find if we can). 

the shift seems to be from service centric to profit centric for the suppliers.  Shaw was very good with these services for us.

tbcuthbert
I plan to stick around

How do we get ideas taken forward to Rogers/Shaw such as having additional 100 hour recording blocks for $5/month? 

You might see a faster response by communicating with the Shaw forum staff.  I'm assuming that they're still around.  You're not the only one to comment on the storage hours.  

You can also send the moderators on this forum a message with your request.  Don't expect a response from on high .....

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@tbcuthbert wrote:

How do we manage the 200 hours? Is there a running tally of the recordings?

Saved/Recordings will tell you the percentage of your PVR storage that you are using along with the number of recordings.

Do shows that we save that go over 1 year just disappear?

Yes.

we currently have 3TBs of storage on our Shaw TV Gateway ...

is there any way to buy more hours?

Not that I know of.  I asked whether there were any plans to expand Cloud PVR storage many, many years ago.  One of the Ignite Product Managers replied, "We do have plans to expand the CPVR storage capacity in the future, stay tuned!" but nothing has changed since then.

My PVR is constantly 99% full.  I deal with this as best as I can, and I tend not to record any content that is available On Demand or on any streaming services.

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

If you want to save the content permanently then you may have to look at other solutions. I have been using PC based PVR solutions for about 20 years. First Windows MCE and then SageTV. This way you create regular video files, such as MPG files or MP4 files and store them on your PC hard drive. 

You could take the content off your existing boxes using something like a Hauppauge HD-PVR device, which is what I use. They have component inputs so if your box doesn’t component outputs then you need to buy a $25 HDMI to component adapter. Then you can use software like Plex or Jellyfin to play back your content on PCs, mobile devices or streaming boxes like Rokus. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation