cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency in controlling playback

Ftremblay1
I've been here awhile

We just got the Ignite system and so far I wish we could go back to Gateway. Recently while playing back a recording I tried to fast forward. There was no response, I pressed it again and no response, finally after 10 seconds the system responded and the fast forward jumped to 3XFF. Then, trying to pause and start again, no response for about 30 seconds while the fast forward continued right through the last five minutes of the program. It took about 3 minutes of messing around until the system became somewhat responsive although in playback it continued to have about a five second delay between pressing a button and seeing response. I’m not impressed in the least. What can be done?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Latency in controlling playback

Ftremblay1
I've been here awhile

I did the reboot with no success. The problem was present on all boxes, but it appears that there was a firmware update and after that the problem has been rectified. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ftremblay1 This is not typical.  Normally, the Ignite TV set-top boxes respond instantly but I have also recently noticed that there can be a delayed response to button presses.  It might be a weird issue with the latest software build on the XiOne -- I have seen the occasional delayed response on the XiOne at my house and at my parents'; no problems with the other Xi6-T boxes in my home.

For me, this is only an occasional intermittent issue that also goes away after I reboot the STB.  If this is a persistent issue for you, that cannot be cleared through a reboot, and that occurs on all set-top boxes, even of different types in your home, that would then most likely be a network-related problem... either with your in-home network or with your Rogers Internet connection.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ftremblay1 : I agree with @-G- : Normally the system responds as quickly as you press the buttons. There may be occasions when this doesn't happen, perhaps because the box is "busy" doing something else, or because of issues communicating with the head end, but that's pretty rare.  I don't even bother with reboots when this happens because it usually goes away on its own after a while.  This issue can affect how quickly you can scroll through the guide, or change channels or other things.

Be advised that you can use the voice command to skip ahead by saying "skip ahead 2 minutes" or whatever quantity of time you want.  

Ftremblay1
I've been here awhile

I’ll try a reboot tomorrow and let you know if this persists, thanks for the tip.

Ftremblay1
I've been here awhile

I did the reboot with no success. The problem was present on all boxes, but it appears that there was a firmware update and after that the problem has been rectified. 

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation