cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Times cuts off show

falcios
I'm a senior enthusiast

When setting a program to record, the start time is 1 minute earlier and ends 1/2 hour + 1minute later.  When viewing the recording, you see the ending of the previous show. Sometimes, the ending of the main show gets cuts off at the end.

Can the recording time be changed to start on time and not start 1 minute sooner?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Recording Times cuts off show

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The fact that you see the end of the previous programme and perhaps not see the end of the current programme is due to the time it airs (ie the broadcaster's fault) and not the fault of Rogers.

You cannot change the start time to "later" than it is, although you can change the start to 1-2 minutes earlier, and, as you probably know, you can change the end time to 3, 5 or 30 minutes later. Sometimes, for live programming you may have the option to extend the recording by as much as 1.5 hours.

When you start to watch a recording from your recordings list you should notice that it doesn't start at "zero", when you look at the progress bar - it actually starts at 30 seconds.  Also IgniteTV is "delayed" by roughly 30 seconds from what actually happens "live (OTA)" for example.  So, when you start to watch your programme, you should not be seeing any of the previous programme if the broadcaster is doing things "correctly". 

You can test this by setting a recording for something that has a clock on the screen like CP24.  When you go to watch the programme that is supposed to start at say 7PM, you will see the clock on CP24 being roughly 6:59:57PM when you start to watch at the 30 second mark.  If you rewind from there you will then see that your recording actually started at 6:59:30.  In this way Rogers has provided you with a 30 second "buffer" at the start, which you should not see unless you rewind, as well as a small buffer at the end.

Edit: Also be aware that some programming starts at "odd times", like 5:59 or 6:01 or 6:02. These broadcasters do this on purpose to try to get you to watch their programming and it's a real pain for people who watch live, but is no issue at all for people who record these programmes since IgniteTV catches these odd start and stop times in the guide.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The fact that you see the end of the previous programme and perhaps not see the end of the current programme is due to the time it airs (ie the broadcaster's fault) and not the fault of Rogers.

You cannot change the start time to "later" than it is, although you can change the start to 1-2 minutes earlier, and, as you probably know, you can change the end time to 3, 5 or 30 minutes later. Sometimes, for live programming you may have the option to extend the recording by as much as 1.5 hours.

When you start to watch a recording from your recordings list you should notice that it doesn't start at "zero", when you look at the progress bar - it actually starts at 30 seconds.  Also IgniteTV is "delayed" by roughly 30 seconds from what actually happens "live (OTA)" for example.  So, when you start to watch your programme, you should not be seeing any of the previous programme if the broadcaster is doing things "correctly". 

You can test this by setting a recording for something that has a clock on the screen like CP24.  When you go to watch the programme that is supposed to start at say 7PM, you will see the clock on CP24 being roughly 6:59:57PM when you start to watch at the 30 second mark.  If you rewind from there you will then see that your recording actually started at 6:59:30.  In this way Rogers has provided you with a 30 second "buffer" at the start, which you should not see unless you rewind, as well as a small buffer at the end.

Edit: Also be aware that some programming starts at "odd times", like 5:59 or 6:01 or 6:02. These broadcasters do this on purpose to try to get you to watch their programming and it's a real pain for people who watch live, but is no issue at all for people who record these programmes since IgniteTV catches these odd start and stop times in the guide.

falcios
I'm a senior enthusiast

Thanks 57 for your response. I wasn't pointing the finger at Rogers. I was just wondering if there was anything that could be done to resolve my issue.

I didn't realize I could modify the recording and extend it by 3, 5 or 30 minutes. This is great. When setting recordings from now on I will extend it 5 minutes. Thanks so much for your input. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation