cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

438 REPLIES 438

Re: Can't create App password

fof9l
I plan to stick around

But it sure would be nice if Rogers would give us regular status updates

It would sure be nicer if they recognised the problems that their users are having and cut the bills while they try to fix this central requirement.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
Well said fof9l

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

@fof9l the Yahoo webmail interface also allows you to add other accounts.  So you could try that in the interim.  I was in the same boat as you, with multiple accounts in Outlook.  I added them to Yahoo and now I see them all in webmail.  

It’s not a proper solution to the problem, but at least it’s a useful workaround.

texan
I've been here awhile

5+ weeks and still waiting....how are we going to know when there is a fix.  Already wasted so much time on this issue.  Hoping someone will post on this thread when there is a fix, since Rogers seems to just be ignoring the problem🤔😠

jn00
I plan to stick around

It looks like there is a new message on the https://rogersmembercentre.com/ site as of the last few days.  When you attempt to generate an App Password you get:

Application Password Validation

Generating an app password is currently unavailable but don’t worry you can still access your email via Web Browser at mail.rogers.com. Additionally, you can integrate iPhone & Android devices.  To see how, Set up a Yahoo! account on a device - Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jn00 wrote: It looks like there is a new message on the https://rogersmembercentre.com/ site as of the last few days.  

Yes, per my post last Wednesday:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/506529/highlight/true#M...

rbdvproductions
I plan to stick around

Does anybody have any update when this is going to get fixed? Its very disappointing that its almost 2 months with this issue and I can't use my Outlook on my PC because I can't create an app password.  How sad is this state of affairs at Rogers that they can't even fix this issue after 2 months....they will lose customers and rightfully so...

chdiamo1

A week ago I sent an email to Tony Saffieri, the president of Rogers explaining the problem and asking when the problem might be fixed. So far, neither he nor anyone in his office has responded. I suspect he's been busy following up with the takeover of Shaw, thus removing a competitor and making problem solving even less relevant!!

murphypaul
I've been here awhile

I have asked for feed back on this matter but "ZERO" I chased it from the initial tech who intermated the Rogers e-mail was free service so I should not be gripping !!!  asked to be past down the line more polished tech but had no answers other than advising me that the work around was to use web mail. I  asked to open a ticket which got me a Montreal based Tech who called me back basically told me he was closing the ticket because he couldn't fix it and "some one someplace"was working on it and I should check every 4-5 days if its fixed or not he had no clue who was working on the issue if they are working on the problem !!! ??? that took three phone calls .... no body at Rogers seems to be able to fully explain what is happening and I have confidence that they are even attempting to find a fix  ... just waiting until we, the clients, find a different solution and stop complaining.  

ATP13
I plan to stick around

All Rogers has to do is remove the App Password requirement. But no. Let us have this fester for 2 months and upset a bunch of customers. 

No. It is not a free service. It is part of the internet package that we signed up for.

Now. This is all a wake up moment for me. I thought about auto-forwarding all me emails to another address. Oh wait - you can't auto-forward. Hmm.

So as of today I am shopping for an email provider, plus an IPTV service and maybe even another cell and internet provider. I have been with Rogers since 1990. Roughly $500 per month for all services. So much for looking after us.

This lazzez-faire attitude by Rogers really made me realize that they don't care about me. 

rbdvproductions
I plan to stick around

Ditto.... Just bizarre how Rogers is not responding to this at all.... Absolutely silent. My $500 a month payment to Rogers will go elsewhere...but they don't care. ...very unfortunate..

stevemills
I've been here awhile

This is not an acceptable solution when you have more than 1 account using Outlook or any other app.  How can you recommend this?   horrible. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stevemills wrote:  How can you recommend this? 

It was not a recommendation.  It was a workaround.  My post is roughly 6 weeks ago when the issue was still fairly new.  See my response to a similar comment in the link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/505478/highlight/true#M...

You have choices: You can use the Webmail workaround until this is fixed.  You can switch to a different e-mail client that doesn't require an app PW.  You can switch to a different e-mail like Gmail.

Just as an FYI, one of our e-mail addresses has also been affected and we have been using Webmail on that one. My wife and I have 5 e-mail addresses and we check them using Webmail when on vacation, however, it is less than ideal obviously.

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

I recently contacted Rogers Support to inquire about the functionality of their APP password generator, but unfortunately, it was not working. Given the ongoing issues, it might be worthwhile for Rogers to temporarily remove this feature from their website until customers can reliably use it. I found it frustrating to visit the page and discover that it still malfunctioned.

alexielm
I've been here awhile

This is not a solution, this is just an explanation and the service still down (2023-04-26)

GGB2
I've been here awhile

Dear Rogers, this is not 1989, people need Outlook Clients for massive amounts of email and its functionality.

-> you added App Passwords for "added Security" 

->  App Passwords get hacked

-> you disable App Passwords functionality

-> after 3 months, you SHOULD RE-ENABLE THE ORIGINAL APPROACH, where your username/password is sufficient for the SMTP server.

That's very 2023 thinking.. Its also client friendly..

chdiamo1

It looks like Rogers is dependent on Yahoo for full functionality. So, as long as Rogers is not a fully independent Canadian corporation, able to operate on its own, this problem will not be resolved until Yahoo, a foreign corporation, decides to fix it. To those of us stuck with Rogers internet, we have no option other than to complain. My home phone and cell phone are with other providers. And based on Rogers lack of independence, those services will not be moved to Rogers.

ifiwarm
I've been around

Rogers has a near monopoly now that they bought Shaw, so I guess they don't have to fix the Password validation problem. They must have forgot that customers still have alternative call Bell Media that did not go down for days in June/July of last year.

chdiamo1

You have that 100% correct!! Rogers' only competition will be Bell. Rogers will be able to give whatever level of service is most profitable for them and nothing more.  Thank you CRTC and Government of Canada! We also need to keep in mind that just because something is from the U.S., such as Yahoo, doesn't mean it's better than anything Canadian. Yahoo is an excellent example. Our dependence on the U.S., be it on vaccines or internet are only two examples that come to mind presently.

bawbyk
I've been here awhile

it is now may 1 2023 and it still does not work

perhaps it is time to leave rogers for something simpler that works easily

bawbyk
I've been here awhile

does anyone know of an app that will assist me in changing all my on-line references to my rogers e-mail account so that i can drop rogers and move all to gmail?