cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

438 REPLIES 438

Re: Can't create App password

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

As usual, the phone call that was supposed to be at 12:00 Noon occurred at 9:00 Am. Rogers is treating us like mushrooms, keeping us in the dark. Jeff has no answers as to when everything will be fixed so that we can generate a password for Outlook. He said that the problem was not Yahoo which I will take with a grain of salt. He had checked the response in the community and was aware of all of us writing about this issue. I told him that the customers who use the community are a minimum of Rogers customers and that were a lot more with this problem. I ended up telling  him that he has until the end of June to fix it or I would be getting rid of Rogers. They really don't seem to care about their customers who need to use Outlook for business etc. I was hoping for something better to be able to tell you but sadly that's not the case. 

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
My cousin in Gainesville, Florida uses Cox as his ISP. He uses Outlook with his Cox email, which does not use Yahoo. He told me Cox uses its own email security system. Perhaps Rogers should ask one of the big boys in the U.S., such as Cox, how they do it. Too bad a company like Cox isn’t Cox Canada Ltd!!

brnsdv
I'm here a lot

It's been 3 MONTHS!!! Typical Rogers not caring a . about their customers.  I haven't been able to use Outlook with my email for 3 months.  Insane.  That's the thrid world treatment we get in Canada from Rogers.  

I called them.  They absolutely no idea when it will be fixed.  They blamed it all on Yahoo.  Of course, it was Rogers who actually chose Yahoo in the first place, but that is completely lost on Rogers.

falcios
I'm a senior enthusiast

Great post BH8

Webmail is down this morning so I opened an incognito window, as you mentioned in your post, and I was able to login to my mail. 

Thanks so much.

ATP13
I plan to stick around

Grrr. This is the worst. Rogers not only is not doing squat about the non working app password (hello microsoft authenticator) now webmail is not working. Tried to do the suggest icognito and somehow Rogers thought my password was not correct and now locked me out of account for 30 minutes......More than 3 months of this. 

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

Has anybody checked the create an app password lately. It seems to me that Rogers is working on it since my phone call with Jeff David as the page has been changed. Hopefully we might be getting close to a solution. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@qsgrampy wrote:

... the page has been changed. Hopefully we might be getting close to a solution. 

Yes, a couple of days ago my login bookmark took me to a slightly different sign in page.  There have been other minor changes to some of the other pages like the Account Information page.  

When I saw the minor changes a few days back I was also hopeful, however, no solution yet.  Remember that the pop-up regarding the App PW also changed a couple of months ago and got our hopes up....

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/506529/highlight/true#M...

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

Following 57's post of today, I noticed that there is a new option under "Account Information" called "Manage Multi-Factor Authenticaton (MFA) Settings" 

When I tried to edit / update the information, it shows "none" under "Wireless recovery number" and the pop-up box does not (yet) allow me to update the information.

Of importance to this group, the box has the Rogers | Yahoo logo, so it looks like that there is indeed a solution coming as described in Lexx124 post of 2 weeks ago.

(Removed image with sensitive information. Reupload image with email address removed blocked out)

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

I had not noticed the "Change Wireless Recovery Number" either....

I was able to update my number and turn on MFA (something I do on all my accounts)

Sadly, even with this information, I could not generate a new app-specific password at this time...  

Leo890
I've been here awhile

It truly is shocking that Rogers has not addressed this problem. Since Rogers controls most of the media it is not in the news either. Over the last number of years I have noticed a steep decline in Rogers support and service level. I have had my rogers email address since they very first came out internet. Its a nightmare to change now and they know it. My point of view is that even if they have a serious problem that causes a rewrite of their entire email support system, just tell us. Its the not knowing that drives people crazy. Just say " we have a major issue with our email system and it will take 3 months to repair, however it will be far better and fast then before. Please use webmail until then and we will provide you with updates along the way, thank you for your support." Thats it, thats all we want. 

This feed has nothing to do with the app to get into your account. The app password being discussed is to use your email in an external email program. You need to be able to create a password for this in a password generator that is not working.

mike905
I've been here awhile
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I still access my Rogers email through my iPhone. Better then webmail I must admit.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mike905 : It's not the device that matters, but the app (e-mail client) that matters. For example Mail (used on most iDevices by default) and I believe Thunderbird, work fine because an app password is not required. Outlook doesn't work (if the app password is changed or lost) because it requires an app password.

mike905
I've been here awhile
I understand that. Hence why I can’t use outlook. I was just setting the iPhone email client does not require the app password . This is how I’ve been using my Rogers email for the past 3 months

zomby
I plan to stick around

Hello, I have been with Rogers for many years. I verify my emails on my IOS (that is still working) and I always download a copy on my desktop using Microsoft Outlook. The emails have not work with MS Outlook for a few months now, why?? I can't even generate a app password as well. So can Rogers please explain, if this is an issue with yahoo system, someone has to come forward and speak, your clients paying you money is waiting for answers. Thank you.

Edgardo1956
I plan to stick around

(Post merged by moderator)

I am trying to get outlook to connect to my rogers e-mail account. I am not sure what the settings in outlook should be there are at least two that I was able to find but it looks like all need an App password.

I am getting the error shown below when trying to get one.

My questions:

1) What are the proper settings for outlook

2) How an I get a generated password

I really need outlook to work

Generating an app password is currently unavailable but don’t worry you can still access your email via Web Browser at mail.rogers.com. Additionally, you can integrate iPhone & Android devices. To see how, Set up a Yahoo! account on a device - Rogers.

**Labels Added**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It looks like your post was moved to this existing thread.  This issue has been discussed extensively on this forum.  If you search for "app password" you will find several recent threads on the topic. The app password generator is currently not working, so you will not be able to properly configure Outlook.  Sorry. 

There is currently no ETA on when this will be fixed. It has been down for over 3 months!

I looked for instructions on how to set up Outlook (instructions used to be around here somewhere), but I only found the following link for devices and it also states that the app password generator is not currently working...

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/set-up-a-yahoo-account-on-a-device-or-email-program

Edit - Devices like tablets or phones that use apps like "Mail" for iOS, do not require an app PW.  I believe that Thunderbird (and Mail) for computers will also work without an app PW. Unfortunately an app PW cannot currently be generated for Outlook. Most of those who already have Outlook working are OK, but you cannot set up Outlook with a new app PW if you never had one, or if you lose your current one.

Edgardo1956
I plan to stick around

That is the same one I was able to find. OK I really need outlook to work. Not sure what it is taking so long to fix, simply makes no sense. Thank you anyway for the replay.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

It’s taking so long because neither Rogers nor Yahoo appears to have no intention of fixing this problem. They just don’t care. What else are we to think?

ThatTate
I plan to stick around

Following. It's June 19th, my app password stopped working over the weekend, and I chatted w Rogers support -- it's insane this has been going on for 3 months with no ETA for a fix. My business needs to be able to run desktop-based Mail -- what other ISPs currently offer this? Bell? Any of the small ones?