cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed has be reduced by more than 50%

kwGuy
I plan to stick around

I subscribe to the Ignite Internet 1.5 Gigabit service and typically get 2.0 Gbps download speed.

On Friday Feb 2, 2024 my system did a speedtest at 2:45a.m. and my speed was 1.99 Gbps at 2:51p.m another test was done and it was down to 983 Mpbs. Since then, my download speed has not been faster.

I have the XB7 Gateway which I use in bridge mode.

For a wireless router I use the Eero Pro 6E.

I have restarted the modem and the router in an effort to fix this, but it has made no difference.

I have called into tech support twice since Friday and I'm told my system is working fine from what they can see.

I had an issue with my upload speed being cut by 50% a year or so ago and seem to recall the tech support folks reprovisioned my modem and this brought my download speed back up to 55 Gbps. I was told by the tech support folks today, they only provission the modems when they are put online and there is not a way to do it again unless my package changes. So I guess I have rememberd wrong or it was something else Rogers did to bring my speed back up.

By the way, eero mesh routers automatically do a speedtest at the gateway every day or so and has nothing to do with wireless.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my modem back to its higher speeds? I am happy to answer any questons you might have.

Screenshot_20240206-140410.jpg

Screenshot_20240206-140424.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Download speed has be reduced by more than 50%

Good morning @kwGuy and @Chuck7015!

Are you both still having speed issues today? Did your router recently get a firmware/software update on Feb. 2nd @kwGuy? Since you're testing through the router, I'd want to double check just to make sure nothing changed on the router.

I can attempt to re-provision the modem for you but that is not typically a solution for speed issues unless your account is genuinely not provisioned properly. 

If the issues are still ongoing, we'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. I assume you have a computer. Have you tried connecting your computer using Ethernet directly to port 4 of the XB7, not bridged, and run a speedtest using the following link? 

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/basic-internet-speedtest

2. I'm not sure about the speedtests you have posted. Are they actually Internet speed tests or simply tests between the devices?

See the following post and the ones that follow outlining why speeds may not be above 1 Gbps.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

Quote: "my download speed back up to 55 Gbps"  I assume you meant upload and 55 Mbps

kwGuy
I plan to stick around

My computer only has a 1G ethernet connection, so no I haven't connected directly to my XB7.

I totally trust the speedtests from my eero device as the speeds are taken directly at the gateway before everything is distributed through my mesh network.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/how-to-use-eero-speed-test

Chuck7015
I've been around

Must be some kind of issue on Rogers end , I normally get 300 + down , today getting 1-10 

All of my employee's in my who are on rogers also having issues of degraded speed 

Good morning @kwGuy and @Chuck7015!

Are you both still having speed issues today? Did your router recently get a firmware/software update on Feb. 2nd @kwGuy? Since you're testing through the router, I'd want to double check just to make sure nothing changed on the router.

I can attempt to re-provision the modem for you but that is not typically a solution for speed issues unless your account is genuinely not provisioned properly. 

If the issues are still ongoing, we'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

kwGuy
I plan to stick around

Thanks for checking in, much appreciated. Actually I finally solved my problem yesterday. It actually turned out to be a bad ethernet cable between my modem and my eero router. I am back up to my normal speeds now.

Excellent! Glad to hear that it was a simple fix. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation