cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Figuring out my ignite internet and how to set up

manveer043000
I've been around

So I have recently gotten the 1.5 ignite plan with rogers and is located in the living room on the main floor. I was wondering how I can utilize Moca 2.5 for my basement where my computer is located via ethernet and also implement Deco m4 throughout the house and basement. 

My thought process:

Moca from the main floor to downstairs to my deco that would be connected to my computer via ethernet and then use the other 2 deco's on the main floor and 2nd floor ?

Any guidance would help. Thank you !

***Added Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Figuring out my ignite internet and how to set up

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@manveer043000 if you look at your house layout for the main floor and basement, is the basement finished underneath the modem location, or is it finished which would make running an ethernet cable down to the basement an impossibility?

How old is your home?  Just wondering if it might have structured wiring installed but undiscovered to date?  Structured wiring is a cable bundle, where you would typically have one bundle running to each room.  The bundle usually consists of 2 x RG-6 for cable or satellite use, and 2 x Cat-5e cables, one for house ethernet and one for telephone use.  If you happen to have those bundle runs installed in each room, that would make this much simpler.  

If you take a wallplate off of a wall that happens to have a coax port on it, you might find another coax cable and Cat-5e cables, waiting to be discovered by the homeowner.  If you take a look in your basement where the cable runs start, look for white or black jacketed RG-6 coax cables.  The data on the cable jacket should show RG-6, somewhere on the cable.  If its RG-59, that might work, but its not idea.  RG-59 has less shielding compared to RG-6  and has higher frequency losses.  In many cases, you need every dB you can get, so RG-59 can be a problem. 

The other cable to look for is blue coloured Cat-5e.   That can be used for house ethernet or telephone use.  If you happen to be one of many home owners who don't use a home telephone, you can repurpose that cable by changing the cable connectors at both ends, installing Cat-5e keystones upstairs and Cat-5e keystones or RJ-45 connectors in the basement.  Change the connectors throughout the house and install an unmanaged switch in the basement, and, voila, you have a house ethernet system. 

I haven't looked at the Deco specs but I'm assuming that you could run an ethernet connected mesh network with those, instead of a wifi connected mesh network.  

Repurposing the telephone Cat-5e cabling would produce better results, compared to running a MoCA network, and it leaves the Rogers network free to change cable frequencies, which will be coming at some point down the road.  The potential change to move the upper 1002 Mhz limit to 1218 Mhz will, at some point conflict with the lower MocA frequency range at 1125 Mhz.  That's an industry problem to fix at some point down the road.  

Fwiw, there are a number of threads and posts regarding MoCA installation.  Here's the search results for the forum.  I don't know if that search shows the total number of threads and posts, but, there's a substantial amount of information in all of those threads and posts.  

Search - Rogers Community

So, before committing yourself to MoCA, have a look at your house wiring, looking for a second coax cable run to each location which would be useful for running an internal MoCA network, free of any involvement of the cable run that supports the modem.  

Also look for a second Cat-5e cable that might be installed but not used so far. 

If there isn't a second Cat-5e cable available, consider your use of a house telephone system, or not, and whether or not the house phone cabling is actually Cat-5e.  The Cat-5e designation would be printed on the cable jacket which should be visible in the basement.  Switching that cabling over to ethernet use would be much cheaper than going down the MoCA road.  With the necessary tools, time and patience, you can swap the connectors yourself  

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation