Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Tests

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

230619 Rogers speedtest.jpg

Upload Speed is Faster than Download Speed:

Not just Rogers Speedtest but other Rogers sites and even Bell Cda not so fast at 49.2 down. Surprisingly Fibernetics clocked in at 355.23, CIRA in at 280.

Guess there is a lot of Ignite TV activity using up the bandwidth today.

*** Edited Labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Speed Tests

RogersMoin

Hello, @FredGarvin.

Thank you for being a Community member; I appreciate your post. Typically, Ignite TV activity doesn't count toward the Internet bandwidth. Do you have the 500u package? I like you trying different speed test sites. Most likely, there were some tech issues with the local Rogers test server when you were testing the speed.

I found Speedtest app by Ookla for Windows/Mac provides more accurate results. However, even with the app, the speed changes with the test server. Below are the results for my 1Gbps/50Mbps package:

Speedtest.png

I hope Rogers speed test has been showing your package speed since your post. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the reply.  I tried to edit the post after I'd sent it to add my plan details as the whole post is kind of dumb without it.

I haven't crossed over to the dark side yet (Ignite), still on a 75 up / now 30 down plan.

I do track seven sites twice a day with PC based SpeedTest for 5 of them with Rogers own Speedtest and the CIRA test being online versions.  With Rogers Richmond Hill, Newmarket and Toronto sites, speeds are generally 100 to 200 with an occasional 300+. Bell and Fibernetics in Toronto are consistently (90% of the time) 350 to 360.  The CIRA and Rogers own SpeedTest track each other nicely around  300 or so. On the bad days the Rogers RH, NM and TO sites drop to double digits. Usually the Rogers own SpeedTest drops to double digits as well.

The only reason for the post was to be a pain about getting forced into Ignite one way or the other.   I look at it that if I can't get my 75 meg download as a minimum all the time, what's going to happen with Ignite at 1.5 gig.  I'm old school so I believe the separation of church and state which translates into keeping my TV separated from my Internet. If one goes down the other is available. With IPTV if the net goes down so does the TV.

Not sure what causes the speed drops, most likely traffic volumes on the Rogers network I'd guess.

On occasion (not often) both Rogers and Bell will drop to low 100's or double digits yet Fibernetics will still give a 300+ result.  I would of assumed that they were using either Rogers or Bell as their backbone.

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

Just showing that the modem is functioning well.

230626 Speedtests.jpg

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

I have legacy 75/30 plan and was getting 200 to 300 meg for the longest time for most of the sites.

Had a temporary line put in this winter and buried a couple of weeks ago.

I track speeds of seven sites twice a day through the week.

Here are the last two days.Two days of SpeedTests.jpg

Other than Fibernetics and CIRA the numbers are pretty poor.

Any ideas why the Rogers sites including their online Speedtest and Bell are so bad?

I have noticed with the DOCSIS testing I also do that there is considerable frequency tilt happening again.

For my Hi/Lo has been around 8 down to 1 or so (dBmV).

Now I'm lucky to see a high of 5 and the lows are down to -5.

Even the signal to noise ratios which was pretty much all 40's have changed with the lower frequency channels still in the 40's while the higher frequencies have dropped 35/36.

Please don't say the answer is Ignite as I am quite happy with 300 down and 30 up.

FredGarvin
I plan to stick around

Here are the numbers for the last three days:230720 to 230718 SpeedTests.jpg

Still amazes me at the variations.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation