cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Rogers ever solve any issues?

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

It's a hard pill to swallow when you've been dealing with the same problems with Rogers for over a decade with a ton of work/troubleshooting done yourself, and no resolutions. I'm starting to think Rogers just counts on people to give up and accept the less than acceptable services.. Which I've done many times.. 

I've replaced my XB7 modem 3+ times, had my PEG looked at, new cable run to my home from the PEG, direct cable connection from the PEG to my modem via F-Type and have run every kind troubleshooting steps possible from my end.

Recently I've been getting way too high ping spikes/latency/jitter and has been causing my home phone to fail more frequently. With a business that depends on a stable phone connection, there's been way too many times the phone has died and missed several phone calls that were not only time sensitive, but ended up losing money in the end. Absolutely unacceptable IMO

When you search the forums for similar issues, you'll find plenty. But what you won't find very often are any answers. 

I had a tech stop by to replace an XiOne set top box that failed/froze constantly and the XB7 modem. Testing the network the tech decided to upgrade to an XB8. While setting up the new (terribly used) Xi6-T box, it sat there on the welcome screen for 20 minutes while we went around checking on other things. The one POD that I have was disconnected in case there was a conflict while setting up the Xi6. Still didn't work. So we had to being the Xi6 to my living room and set it up (initialize) there. Finally got that working. 

I logged into my modem (XB8) and set it up with the same WiFi name/password as I had before to make things easier. And we all know that Rogers removed any back-end access to the modem forcing its customers to use one of the worst apps ever made - 'Home Connect'

Launched Home Connect to setup my POD, add my port forwards etc, only to find I'm stuck in a never ending loop starting at scanning the QR or entering the CM MAC manually. Repeated these steps more than 10 times while the tech was here. Both scanning the QR and manually entering the CM. Same loop.

The tech contacts Rogers, explains the steps we made including uninstalling/reinstalling the app, clearing cache/data, installing and logging into the MyRogers app (no issues), using a different phone, rebooting the modem etc.. The Rogers tech on the phone unlinks then links my profile 3 times then gives me a call ticket number and says I need to call the 1-888-Rogers1 line, reference the CT number as it's a profile problem.

Unsurprisingly, I call the number only to find out the CT was closed and the tech never reference all the steps we did to resolve the issue. So now I had to go through and explain/detail everything again - like I haven't wasted enough time with this. Of course I was told this would be checked on ASAP.. Ya.. sure.. My account was then unlinked/linked again.

Well, the problem still isn't resolved. My max ping to my CMTS today is 80.1ms with the average being 12.9 in a 1hr test. 0.2 loss and latency spikes all over the place. My download speeds are 50% of what they used to be. So not only has Rogers not fixed the problem, they've made it worse and seem to have no problems arbitrarily closing call tickets without even verifying the issue is resolved with the customer. 

Running a 24hr ping test to my CMTS with my XB7 2 days ago resulted in ridiculous times and failures:

Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=655ms TTL=63
Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=651ms TTL=63
Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=420ms TTL=63
Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=639ms TTL=63
Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=654ms TTL=63
Reply from 1CMTS: bytes=32 time=540ms TTL=63
Reply from CMTS: bytes=32 time=272ms TTL=63
PING: transmit failed. General failure.

I'd like to know when Rogers will actually decide to repair the problems on their end and stop making a customer jump through hoops and hold their hands all the while paying over $300/month for a service they never get? Only response I ever seem to get is the scripted "I can understand this can be frustrating'.. Can we finally get down to some serious resolutions to the problem that plagues Rogers customers please?

**Labels Added**

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why can't Rogers ever solve any issues?

Denicha2003
I've been around
What the heck is going in with Rogers? The inky thing that might be successful is taking a payment without giving access to bills. Their app doesn’t work.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

***Update***

Had to call Rogers yesterday afternoon after my XB8 couldn't establish an uplink. Modem was stuck flashing green for an hour. Rebooted the modem and had the same results. Whilst I was on hold, I removed the 'filter' that the tech had installed to give all green signal levels. I honestly have no idea what this filter is. It's a female|female coax adapter with a white sticker with a green band and the number 6 on it. After removing I was able to establish uplink and was back online. I was told that techs will test my connection and maybe the neighbourhood taps. This morning my modem rebooted. It wasn't long before connection was reestablished. I tested my signal levels and they look perfect to me.. But my download speeds are still half of what they were. The tech on the phone last night did a speed test and had the same results as I did which were around the 90mbps range.. I'm still hitting that mark today, however one test did show slightly over 100, all others have been in the 90-93Mbps range. 24hr tests show latency spikes in the 610+ range. But does seem a bit more consistent today.. 

Years ago, before switching to Ignite I had the same issue with the CODA modem. After switching to Ignite, hoping things would be different, I called again and the rep on the phone did something and corrected the download speed problems almost immediately - ping spikes etc continued, however. So I'm not exactly sure why this time it's proving to be so much more difficult. But I can only do so many tests on my end. My modem rebooted this morning I can only speculate that Rogers is helping with this issue. Actually finding and solving it, I can only hope. My Home Connect app is still in a loop, and no one can figure it out - so far

I've been a bit frustrated over this since it's been going on for a long time. I believe my tone in this thread is reflective of this frustration and perhaps a bit too much. So I apologize for the tone. I'm just hoping that someone will find the problem and finally resolve it.

I've read through so many forums with others experiencing the same issues. The resolutions seem to be on Rogers end, but are rarely (if ever) mentioned in the forums as the users end up dealing with the problems privately. I am absolutely open to assisting in any testing, on my end, which may aid in resolving my issues. I do have a call ticket currently active regarding my download speeds, had one open for my Home Connect app in a loop, but was later told it was closed without verifying. They offered a call back sometime Monday.

1. Download speeds <~50% what it used to be

2. Home Connect app in a constant loop - always going back to scan QR or enter CM MAC manually. I've done both. Uninstalled/reinstalled the app. Cleared cache and data. Rebooted my phone. Used a different phone. Problem still persists

3. Massive latency|Ping spikes. Ping results (to my CMTS) can show anywhere between 151ms and 655ms during spikes. But also drops showing transmit failed. Jitter, of  course, shows spikes where latency does. This does not seem to follow any consistent timing such as high usage times in my area (kids home from school, home from work etc)

- All testing is done using CAT6 and the 2.5g port (XB8 Gen 3 modem):

HW Version:2.0
Vendor:Technicolor
BOOT Version:S1TC-3.81.21.97
Core Version:1.0
Model:CGM4981COM
Product Type:XB8
Flash Part:4096 MB
Download Version:Prod_22.2_d31 & Prod_22.2

If anyone has been able to resolve their decrease in download speeds I'd love to hear about it! Thanks for any help you can provide!

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around
Still nothing other than an email stating there's be a delay with my 'ignite tv'.
I did however test the 'new' Xi6 they sent to replace my severely malfunctioned XiOne. Bluetooth headphones pair, I can hear them say 'connected'.. But no audio. Tested headphones with my phone-works fine. Tested on PC-works fine. Tested a second pair of headphones to Xi6, same issue. Already rebooted. Did the usual testing/troubleshooting. Still won't work.. And the remote that came with it is so warped every time I press a button it sounds like I'm crushing a can..
This is fun..

Vladimir1
I plan to stick around

What you described above sounds very familiar to me. I am currently experiencing the same issues that started over six months ago: intermittent visible buffering while watching the videos from the Internet, phone calls drops, noise, etc. I executed multiple pings and traceroute commands, provided CM reports data, executed Bufferbloat and Speedtest using two different PCs running the latest version of Microsoft Windows 10 Home and Windows10 Professional operating systems (while the technicians were present) point to the ongoing network congestion issues resulting in latency, high download ping spikes, jittering, as well as sudden Internet speed loss. Even after the technicians replaced three modems, Ethernet cables, cable heads and splitter, checked the outside cables and connection boxes of our building these issues did not disappear and even became worse.

Together with me he technicians were observing them again and again while watching the same videos on both my Windows10 machines simultaneously. Today I was told to turn off Windows Defender and watch the videos using Google Chrome instead of MS Edge which I did. However, the buffering, video/sound stops and picture blurring were still present.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Disabling Windows Defender is a good testing option, but should never be considered a solution. Antivirus and firewall programs do cause some latency issues as packets are scanned but this should be barely noticeable to the end user. Please turn your antivirus software back on, if you haven't already.

Rogers has a litany of different contractors who also have as many  different skills. The quality of your service is very dependent on who shows up at your door. Some care more than others and some come with the experience necessary to solve your problem. 

Could you describe your service, hardware and setup in a bit more detail? You said they tested the outside cables and connection boxes of your building, I'm guessing you're in an apartment?

Some information that would be helpful:

- What internet package are you on?

- Are you subscribed to IgniteTV?

- What modem are you using?

- Are you testing via WiFi/Eth/Both? (Is there a noticeable difference in testing between connections?)

- Have you tested using Android/iOS? - Similar results?

- Do you have a splitter where the coax comes into your apartment? What splitter are you using? How many cables are connected to it?

- Are you using a booster/filter?

Vladimir1
I plan to stick around

I agree with you that turning off Microsoft Defender (or any other antivirus programs installed on the client's PC) can be too dangerous while surfing the Internet. Nevertheless, I decided to demonstrate to the technicians that this option would not eliminate the discussed issues. 

I ran briefly a pre-recorded video from only one known to me www.yahoo.com site without MS Defender, then turned MS Defender back on, executed fast and full scans immediately after that. So far, my PCs are OK. 

I have Ignite TV Starter + 500 Ultd bundle. Except my computers I use only Rogers's equipment: XB8 modem and TV Entertainment box, as well as Rogers’ supplied cables and a splitter. It is installed at the apartment balcony entrance. So, it is a very simple and straight-forward network of two (sometime three) PCs connected directly or via Wi-Fi to the modem. There are no boosters and filters. I executed all types of tests using either Wi-Fi, or Ethernet connections. The results were identical on both my PCs with 4.2GHz and 2.8Ghz CPU, 12Gb and 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD running Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional latest versions accordingly. These tests and reports revealed some potential network congestion-related issues while watching the pre-recorded videos only coming from the south of the border. There are almost no issues while watching life-streaming TV programs except an initial buffering. 

I advised a recently visited senior technician to take all necessary reports photos and pass them to the network engineers and/or infrastructure architects for a review. 

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation