cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large number of short duration disconnections

baronkarza
I'm here a lot

Over the past few days, I've noticed a lot of interruptions to our internet connection. I started using Net Uptime Monitor to try to diagnose the situation. Over the past day or so, it has recorded 74 disconnections from the internet.

---------------------------------------
2024-03-23 8:31:39 AM Log End
Monitor Duration 25:27:55
Failure Summary:
Count 74
Total Downtime 1:15:00
% Downtime 4.91
Minimum Length 0:00:05
Maximum Length 0:07:35
Average Length 0:00:58

In the 2 days prior, there were only 4 interruptions. As you can see, most of these interruptions are fairly short, but are long enough to kick us out of any online activity we are engaging in. As our TV, streaming, gaming and general internet usage are all tied to our internet connection, most people can understand how frustrating this is.

We are in Brampton. Nothing about our configuration has changed before or since this started started happening. I understand there was a service outage yesterday, but that was supposed to affect the Guelph area, and was supposedly solved. I tried to online chat with someone at Rogers about it, but when I saw that there were 62 people in the queue ahead of me, and that number didn't change for at least 10 minutes, I gave up.

I suspect a problem with our node, or some other issue outside the house, but I am not equipped to diagnose any of those sorts of problems.

We did have some new people move in in the other unit recently, but that was in December, and the issues have only started within the past week. Normally our connection is pretty solid. I'm at my wits end listening to my family grumble about being disconnected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Large number of short duration disconnections

baronkarza
I'm here a lot

No disconnections the last few days. No changes to our configuration and did not power cycle the gateway. Anna did tell me that there was an open ticket with issues in my neighbourhood at the time that this was happening, so it must have been an external issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

HappyCamper21
I've been around
I’ve been experiencing the same problem over the last 2 weeks. It’s been getting noticeably worse the last few days. I’ve talked to technical support but they say there is nothing wrong and I should get a higher speed. Very frustrating.

Good morning @baronkarza!

Are you sharing the connection with the people in this other unit as it's supplied by your landlord or do you have your own connection that you personally pay for?

If you're sharing the connection, then it's possible that their usage habits have changed which is impacting your connection. 

As for @HappyCamper21, I can troubleshoot with you if you've already talked with tech support. The first thing I'd like to do is review the history of the account to see what's already been done.

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see what is going on! Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Hi @RogersCorey

No, we are not sharing a connection with the other unit, though I believe that the previous tenants were not Rogers customers, and these new tenants are. We personally pay for our connection.

ZERO issues on the 24th of March, which was Sunday.

Not one failure logged after 7:01 p.m. on Saturday, until 8:38 a.m. Monday morning.

47 failures Monday.

31 failures since 1:43 a.m. this morning, 4 of those since I began composing this message.

All very short interruptions, averaging out at about 30 seconds.

One observation I made yesterday is that it was warm enough to melt snow. Perhaps the line outside leading to the house is damaged, and water from the snow melt is getting into a nick in the line. I also noticed that a number of old coax lines on the side of the house have been completely cut at some point. None of those lines serve our unit, but I thought it was odd. The mess of lines attached to the outside of the house, which I imagine were put there for previous cable customers, could probably do with a cleanup. We only use one line which ends at our gateway.

asdfasfsdaf
I've been around

I have been having the same issue for past 2-3 weeks. Internet service is lost for 1-4 mins every 10-15 mins during bad periods daily. It is not a wifi issue as the wired devices are losing internet also. I have stopped looking at the router or trying to restart it. I just wait couple of mins for it to come back. 

I did call the tech support line and they told me they see nothing wrong and that I should upgrade to Ignitie internet for get better modem/router. This may solve my issue. But my bill will be higher. So basically I was told to pay up  more to get a reliable service. I am on Coda-4582 router.

I have been a rogers customer for many many years and have worked from home for 3+ years. The past 2-3 weeks the service has been terrible and no one seems to be able to fix this beside "upgrade". Very disappointed. Bell is laying fiber in my neighborhood and I am just waiting for them to finish up.

baronkarza
I'm here a lot

No disconnections the last few days. No changes to our configuration and did not power cycle the gateway. Anna did tell me that there was an open ticket with issues in my neighbourhood at the time that this was happening, so it must have been an external issue.

la1
I've been here awhile

Yes, this is exactly what is happening here in Vaughan, too.  Has been doing this for quite a few weeks.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation