cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Access ONEDRIVE fully while on rogers internet.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wonder if anyone else has come across this.

I am able to log into Onedrive fine.  
It does not show any files in there (which there are).
Trying to go into management, searches, etc.. all will cause a like timeout error.

This includes my work laptop, personal laptop, desktop.  Phone will show the files, but not allow access to open them.

Phone, as soon as you go off the rogers wifi, it will access fine.
My work laptop is able to access fine, while at work.

So something is up with like the rogers DNS?? Like it not resolving everything?

The MS onedrive services status has shown fine.

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Access ONEDRIVE fully while on rogers internet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty I don't normally use OneDrive but I just did a quick test and it works for me.  I created a test file on my Mac, dragged it to the OneDrive Documents folder, it synced, and I was then able to access the file from my Windows PC.

That said, I'm running on my own network gear with my Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode.

In a simple default config, with optional security options disabled and the firewall security level set to Low, I don't think that the Ignite Gateway will break access to any online services.  However, if you enable Advanced Security or Parental Controls, there is no telling what weird problems you might run into.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty I don't normally use OneDrive but I just did a quick test and it works for me.  I created a test file on my Mac, dragged it to the OneDrive Documents folder, it synced, and I was then able to access the file from my Windows PC.

That said, I'm running on my own network gear with my Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode.

In a simple default config, with optional security options disabled and the firewall security level set to Low, I don't think that the Ignite Gateway will break access to any online services.  However, if you enable Advanced Security or Parental Controls, there is no telling what weird problems you might run into.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I DID have advance security off.. but it appears it has turned back on at some point.
I have tried turning that off now, and see if that rectifies it.

I know some firewalls, etc can be very picky with stuff like that.  At work the security team gets over zealous, and locks stuff down like crazy.  
The VALID features stop working.. like if one MS product calls another, its making a call to another different URL then its current one.. and it would block it.   Great prevents a lot of stuff from going out and grabing BAD stuff.. but then the good stuff too.

I'll report back after that has settled in.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty I have also seen Advanced Security get enabled spontaneously.  In my case, it happened as a side-effect of accessing and trying to change Wi-Fi settings.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All i had done recently, was 
A) got the gen 2 pods
B) changed a port forward

Neither of those, I would THINK would re enable it?

Anyways, it appears to be WORKING now, accesses right away.

Thanks @-G- !!

ludcur
I've been here awhile

I've just encountered this same issue a couple days ago.  The timing seems suspicious in terms of your post.  Did something change with Rogers Gateway?  I've kept the Gateway security for IPv4/IPv6, and I haven't had an issue with OneDrive since I got set up with this hardware over a year ago.

OneDrive will not sync anymore, regardless of my security settings.  I can tether to my phone and everything is good, but through the Gateway I'm blocked.  The App won't sync, and I can't access onedrive.live.com.  I can however access the other Microsoft365 apps via the web interface.
One oddity is that if I perform a reboot on my Gateway, OneDrive will quickly sync outstanding files, but then block traffic again.  I was hesitant to disable the entire firewall on the Gateway, but even after doing so, it still doesn't sync.
I have a Gateway, with 2 PODS. 

Hello, @ludcur 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can imagine how frustrating it is to lose access to your OneDrive, all of a sudden. If you've already tried the steps provided in this thread then you may need to try a factory reset of the Gateway. This will erase any custom settings you have on the Gateway so you'll need to setup the Gateway again using the Ignite HomeConnect app.

Please let us know if issues are persistent.

RogersTony

mdesrochers2
I plan to stick around

@Gdkitty @RogersTony @ludcur I have also run into this issue with OneDrive around a couple of weeks ago.  It had stopped syncing, it wasn't letting me log in when I use the desktop client, I could not view My Files via the web portal, etc.  I spent hours with Microsoft support to reset OneDrive, re-install the app, and going as far as doing a re-install of Windows 10......none of it solved the issue.   The same issue was also impacting another user in the household who was using a different desktop.

I don't remember what led me to try this but I tethered my desktop to my mobile on the LTE network and then OneDrive worked like it normally did.  I did the same to the other desktop and it worked as well.   However, when we went back to our home network, although we remained logged into OneDrive, the files did not sync anymore.

Last night, I decided to turn off Advanced Protection.  Voila, now OneDrive works as it should on both desktops.  I'm thinking there is something in the Protection algorithm that treats OneDrive as an intrusion and blocks it.   I'm hesitant to do a factory reset on the Gateway since I had no custom settings on it other than my SSID and password, and that OneDrive was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago.

Almost forgot, the two desktops are connected via Ethernet to the Ignite Gateway modem via a 4-port unmanaged switch (the Gateway is not in Bridge Mode as far as I can tell).  No custom settings done on the switch itself.

@mdesrochers2 wrote:

Last night, I decided to turn off Advanced Protection.  Voila, now OneDrive works as it should on both desktops.  I'm thinking there is something in the Protection algorithm that treats OneDrive as an intrusion and blocks it.   I'm hesitant to do a factory reset on the Gateway since I had no custom settings on it other than my SSID and password, and that OneDrive was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago.

Having Advanced Security (and Parental Controls) breaks a lot of things in unpredictable ways.  When it detects attempts to access a "restricted" service, it returns a bogus DNS response to block that access, and that, in turn, can cause connections to permitted services (that occur immediately thereafter) on that same domain to fail.

In my testing, I found Advanced Security to be practically useless.  There were glaring gaps in its protection, it breaks access to legitimate and benign services, and there is no way for the end user to tailor the service to meet specific needs.

Likewise, Parental Controls are worthless if they can be bypassed.

The basic firewall on the Ignite Gateway works fine but as soon as you need to do anything beyond the basics, you are in for a world of hurt... and there is no useful logging of any kind to help troubleshoot issues when things break.

ludcur
I've been here awhile

Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions.  I also ended up disabling Advanced Security.  I had to do this via the phone app, since there didn't seem to be a way to do it in the gateway browser controls.  This Rogers system is a royal pain, and quite likely I'm going to end up switching back to my own hardware and putting this in bridge mode.
Like the rest of you, once my Advanced Security was disabled my OneDrive syncs perfectly again.  Thanks for all your comments and help!

AMcW-76
I've been here awhile

I have been having issues with the Rogers DNS Lookup server not resolving the OneDrive URL link 1drv.ms to its full format for the past 3 weeks. The Lookup table does not find https://onedrive.live.com/ so it uses the short form and ends up with the 'Oops, Cant Find That Page error' message. My work-around is to use the embed option and using that link to copy/paste to send to my recipients. Any ideas on what happed to the Alias Lookup table?

Greetings @AMcW-76!

Does disabling Advanced Security resolve this issue for you as it did for others in this thread?

Regards,

RogersCorey

Jackwerner
I've been here awhile

I have also had a problem assessing OneDrive but only thru created links.

When creating a link like: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgMmlJ4NmkhpgcMA1yrn8im9GgVHPA?e=aW4foh

this will not resolve. You get a "This site can't be reached" in any browser.

Now I had this problem a few weeks ago and at some point a week later the problem went away. I don't know what I did.

Today installed a new Ignite internet modem the problem came back.

I have Advanced security off.

Works: onedrive syncing and full access to microsoft 365

Linking to main domain works: onedrive.live.com

Linking to https://1drv.ms domain will not resolve.

Can't figure out where it is being blocked. Router? Browser? Firewall?

Help!

AMcW-76
I've been here awhile

No it does not.

Good Day @Jackwerner! 😊

Thanks for contributing to this thread! Yikes! I'm sorry about the issues you're running into with OneDrive. Are you able to put the modem into bridge mode and then try accessing the OneDrive links that were giving you issues? 

Regards, 

RogersJo 

Hello, @AMcW-76 

Thanks for confirming that for us. We'll need to investigate this further via a ticket to our support teams.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

Jackwerner
I've been here awhile

My workaround was to use a VPN which seems to bypass the rogers filter.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 9 in conversation