cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Watch Ignite TV App Outside The House?

Kylek91
I've been here awhile

Hey guys, just got rogers ignite about a week ago, my girlfriend was at home watching it and I tried using my app while I was away.. and it wasn't working for me says not available for every channel that I have.. but it was working still at home..

With that being said, Is rogers Ignite able to work from multiple IP addresses at the same time?

***EDITED LABELS***

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Can't Watch Ignite TV App Outside The House?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1george wrote:
Been using ingnite tv all summer at the cottage within the province, now it now it saying I’m outside of Canada

Do you have a VPN enabled?

1george
I've been here awhile
Went to vpn, it said not connected, but from there, I don’t see area where I can enable it

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1george wrote:
Went to vpn, it said not connected, but from there, I don’t see area where I can enable it

Just to be clear, you need to ensure that you DO NOT have a VPN enabled; neither on the device nor on your router.  If you connect through a VPN, that would make it appear as if your network connections were originating from outside your home or potentially outside of Canada.

Yomike50
I've been here awhile
How can it be a licensing issue if I’m only across the street, not out of country. This makes no sense and is unacceptable. Rogers needs to improve this!

Yomike50
I've been here awhile
How can content restrictions apply just be cause you are at a location, across street, that even has Rogers. They can watch on their tv but I can’t watch on phone. Again this makes no sense. It must be a rogers restriction not a cable channel restriction

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomike50 wrote:
How can content restrictions apply just be cause you are at a location, across street, that even has Rogers. They can watch on their tv but I can’t watch on phone. Again this makes no sense. It must be a rogers restriction not a cable channel restriction

Rogers is just enforcing restrictions that are imposed by the channel provider per the mutually agreed-to terms of their licensing agreement.  Some channels can only be viewed live within your own home.  Period.

My parents and I both subscribe to Ignite TV and, at one time, we subscribed to the same TV packages and subscribed to the same Flex channels and Theme Packs.  Yet, when I visit them, there are some channels that I cannot watch on the Ignite TV app on my phone... but I can record the program and then watch the recording as soon as it completes.

The only thing crazier than these petty restrictions is that they were sticking points to begin with during contract negotiations, or that the channel provider refused to wave them.  Sometimes these restrictions also exist because they were agreed to in a previously-signed contract with another TV provider, and that agreement has clauses that say that the channel provider cannot agree to more favourable terms (or less restrictive content rights) with another TV provider.

@Yomike50 wrote:

Because they dont really know where you are / what they have there.

Not sure, but if you were across the street, on THEIR rogers wifi, you might have access.

But outside of that, cellular, etc, no.   They dont know when/if that person has rogers, nor if they are paying for that channel.

In the end its channel providers, wanting literally EVERYONE to pay for that channel to watch it in the end sort of thing.
They dont want you to bring your device over, and let your friend watch it who hasnt paid for the channel.
(its the big reason that casting is disabled on a lot of streaming services like the rogers apps, etc.  Same thing they dont want you casting to allow them to watch when its only  YOU who should be, on your device)

Yomike50
I've been here awhile

I understand but disagree. We pay for the channels, we should be able to watch anywhere unless geo restricted, like out of country.. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomike50 : It used to be that you could only watch the channel on your TV at home. Then you were provided with the option to watch it on various devices.  Then you were provided the option to watch certain (but not all) programming when not at home (but in Canada). There is also the option to "download and go" any recording to a device for up to a month and you can take that recording with you anywhere you go, even outside Canada.

These restrictions are negotiated between the content provider (sometimes called broadcaster) and the service provider.  Any options cost more money and the provider (and their customers) must strike a balance so that the price for a channel doesn't get too high, taking into account their customers/desires.

Some people are never happy.  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yomike50 wrote:

I understand but disagree. We pay for the channels, we should be able to watch anywhere unless geo restricted, like out of country.. 

Your paying for a channel but its THEIR rules, the channel owner, so they get the final say. Maybe find another provider of the said content so you can watch it anywhere you wish?   THere are some apps you can watch a channel anywhere in canada even some apps work outside too, you just have to do your home work, its not as simple as   "everything works everywhere in the world"  that is not the case unfortunately.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 11 in conversation